• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Great Pyrenees Puppy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So cute. I wanted one many years ago but decided this was too large of a breed for me.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
OMG, wow! Quite a crew of huge dogs! I can't wait to see how this all works out for our family!
These four pretty much live outside, Bandit is somewhat house broken. He is allowed inside the house but prefers being outside. There are four more little herd dogs. Aussie shepherd X's. They are the movers and shakers of the flock. When moving the flock (145 ewes) the big dogs are out front the little dogs are in the back. We tell the big dogs to move out with whistle. The little dogs push the flock to follow. But the little guys had better not get ahead of the big dogs, otherwise there will be problems. Nips, growls and sometimes a bite. We carry a doggie first aid kit on the four wheeler.
The biggest thing you can do to help, is teach scent training for GP's. If they recognize you as person that is safe, they will always remember you. And teach 'down' command. I've been knocked on my butt from 120lbs dog who was sniffing my breath.
Also post the property that there a guardian dog on duty. Other dogs on property will be chased down and attacked. They are seen as predators. People that are strangers are greeted with big barks and sometimes growls.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These four pretty much live outside, Bandit is somewhat house broken. He is allowed inside the house but prefers being outside. There are four more little herd dogs. Aussie shepherd X's. They are the movers and shakers of the flock. When moving the flock (145 ewes) the big dogs are out front the little dogs are in the back. We tell the big dogs to move out with whistle. The little dogs push the flock to follow. But the little guys had better not get ahead of the big dogs, otherwise there will be problems. Nips, growls and sometimes a bite. We carry a doggie first aid kit on the four wheeler.
The biggest thing you can do to help, is teach scent training for GP's. If they recognize you as person that is safe, they will always remember you. And teach 'down' command. I've been knocked on my butt from 120lbs dog who was sniffing my breath.
Also post the property that there a guardian dog on duty. Other dogs on property will be chased down and attacked. They are seen as predators. People that are strangers are greeted with big barks and sometimes growls.
Laurie, I got on AA this morning with the plan to ask you how it all works on your farm with the Pyrs. Thanks so much! This is great information. I will pass it along to my daughter's family! They have so many plans for their farmette and this is just the beginning! :)

Editing to ask a question Laurie- Where do the outside dogs sleep or get protection from bad weather? I think cold is easier on them than heat, right?

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle uses igloo style dog house

The X large size, he adds a blankie inside. Once we get snow he will pile up snow around the sides making sure not to block the vent. The biggest concern we have is wind and cold. We try to face the door to south in winter. Summer time to north and in the shade.
These are easy to clean. The summer time we some times shear them down. They need a good brushing about every day in spring time. Yup they shed like crazy. Bandit will sleep on the back deck even in dead of winter.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Uncle uses igloo style dog house

The X large size, he adds a blankie inside. Once we get snow he will pile up snow around the sides making sure not to block the vent. The biggest concern we have is wind and cold. We try to face the door to south in winter. Summer time to north and in the shade.
These are easy to clean. The summer time we some times shear them down. They need a good brushing about every day in spring time. Yup they shed like crazy. Bandit will sleep on the back deck even in dead of winter.
Thanks so much! I will pass this info along! We appreciate all the help we can get to make this dog's life a good one.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
GP are prone to arthritis, so supplement their diet with something like this

It really helps a lot. We give them like treats. Also micro chip them, for alot of reasons, mostly because if they chase a predator down they maybe blocks to miles from home. They know how to get home but a chip will hasten homeward bound trip if somebody picks them up.
Suffa our first GP (rip) chased a coyote almost 5 miles, he got lost. Our neighbor knew him and encourage him into his pick up truck , brought him home. Suffa had ouchies from coyote so there was fight. Lots cleaning those up and letting them heal. They can clear a 4 wire fence in heartbeat if they are after predator.
Now that we have them, we have seen very little of predators. They know better then to mess with sheep. Princess and Queenie stay with ewes, Viking is with them rams and wethers.
We have reflective collars on them all. That way they are see able after dark. We use whistles for training, uncle can whistle thru his teeth, I can't. I have mouth triangle its something that you have to practice alot. But the dogs know the whistle and hand commands.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Laurie, you are so awesome! Great, great info!! We will do it all!
I have to say that Louis getting away or getting hurt scares me so much.
He is a mess and needs a bath! And a nap apparently.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to share this crazy picture of my daughter's Pyr at 10 months old. Hmm, won't copy.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We had one , black named leo, he was a very big big boy. Got to 140 lbs. And man get out of his way when he's running. He will knock you over for sure. But was a gentle dog. Loves the water.
Very protective dogs, very obedient.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had one , black named leo, he was a very big big boy. Got to 140 lbs. And man get out of his way when he's running. He will knock you over for sure. But was a gentle dog. Loves the water.
Very protective dogs, very obedient.
I didn't know they could be black, just googled it! Beautiful! Louis is very gentle but of course so big he could easily knock us down. There is water nearby but not on their property. He has never been on a leash but should probably be trained to do that. Maybe they could visit the stream and see how he likes it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rocky'smom Louis is taking a joint product as you suggested. He sometimes seems a little less than enthusiastic about climbing the hill but vet says he is fine. Thanks for all your help when they got him.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I didn't know they could be black, just googled it! Beautiful! Louis is very gentle but of course so big he could easily knock us down. There is water nearby but not on their property. He has never been on a leash but should probably be trained to do that. Maybe they could visit the stream and see how he likes it.
Yea, they can be all black. Leo was a beauty. We had a kiddy wadding pool, 6 foot in diameter. Everytime he went outside, he made a dash to it and jumped in. Lol....loved the water!
Had a bark and a half! Even as a puppy never once had an accident in house... Very good at going out side, which is a good thing, they can pee a river! And invested in a pitch fork for poo! Lol. He lived to about 8. Developed cancer. After 2 operations, they couldn't do anymore.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking a kiddie pool might do the trick! We will get one! Louis will probably step on the side and that will be that lol.

I'm sorry you lost your boy at 8. Those big dogs tend to have a short life. Sad.