• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Great Pyrenees Puppy

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My daughter's family just got a Great Pyrenees puppy! His name is Louis, pronounced Louie. He's a French breed! I just went to see him. Holy moly, he's 13 weeks and weighs 45 pounds already. They have a 6 acre farmette so he will have lots of land to roam and kids and livestock to protect!

IMG_5393.jpg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
So cute.
He will be a very big doggy!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:shocked4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
They're supposed to be a very protective breed for people and animals, if I remember.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're supposed to be a very protective breed for people and animals, if I remember.
Yes, they are known to be excellent livestock guards. My daughter lives in a rural area that has lots of predators. Despite their best efforts they lost all their chickens to predators last spring. They will be buying chickens and goats this Spring and Louie will be in charge! :) I read that Pyrs protect anything you feed.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
And they're BIG but laid back in day-to-day settings. Someone in my neighborhood had a Great Pyrenees and another person had a Newfie. I never saw either owner have any type of control problems with either dog when they were being walked. Last Sunday I met a 4 month old Great Dane called Shugar at the local pet food/supplies store. Looked like a dalmation except for size and obviously, head; he had the most beautiful pink nose ever. And equally laid back - he could have wreaked havoc if he'd wanted to.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My parent's neighbors have one. She is gorgeous. Although basic obedience and coming when called is not her strong suit.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My parent's neighbors have one. She is gorgeous. Although basic obedience and coming when called is not her strong suit.
Oh my. They have a fenced in yard so if he doesn't come I guess he'll stay out, lol. I hope he doesn't jump up on people.

I read the funniest thing about them. They said it's very important that they have a fenced area because they will continue to land grab and consider larger and larger areas to be under their jurisdiction.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They are gorgeous dogs that are very large. Good thing there is a big place for exercise. I met a gorgeous puppy yesterday. She is such a sweetheart. I love dogs that are sleek and don't have a mass of fur to deal with. Rare breed in US called Platt Hound.
She was found at the shelter and adopted by my niece. In the area where she lives if a dog does not like being a hunting dog I am told the so called hunters just let the dog go - to be on their own in the woods. That is where this young girl was found. She adores people and has no interest in other animals.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have a funny story about a great pyrenees.

Several years ago my husband and I were on vacation in the Netherlands (Utrecht on tht day). I sat down at an outdoor table at a cafe, while my husband went inside to get some goodies. I felt like someone was watching me. I turned around and was staring eye to eye at a massive Great Pyrenees about 6-8 feet away. He was one of the biggest dogs I have ever seen. And to put that into perspective, my brother had a Great Dane that was 36 inches to his shoulders.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are gorgeous dogs that are very large. Good thing there is a big place for exercise. I met a gorgeous puppy yesterday. She is such a sweetheart. I love dogs that are sleek and don't have a mass of fur to deal with. Rare breed in US called Platt Hound.
She was found at the shelter and adopted by my niece. In the area where she lives if a dog does not like being a hunting dog I am told the so called hunters just let the dog go - to be on their own in the woods. That is where this young girl was found. She adores people and has no interest in other animals.
So glad she was adopted. Unbelievable that someone would just release her.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a funny story about a great pyrenees.

Several years ago my husband and I were on vacation in the Netherlands (Utrecht on tht day). I sat down at an outdoor table at a cafe, while my husband went inside to get some goodies. I felt like someone was watching me. I turned around and was staring eye to eye at a massive Great Pyrenees about 6-8 feet away. He was one of the biggest dogs I have ever seen. And to put that into perspective, my brother had a Great Dane that was 36 inches to his shoulders.
LOL, uh oh. I'm told as adults they can be quite serious so I'm imagining the stare.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
LOL, uh oh. I'm told as adults they can be quite serious so I'm imagining the stare.
The stare didn't feel menacing just intensely curious. I was the only one sitting at an outdoor table so maybe he was trying to figure out what I was doing there.

I am not sure how tall he was but his eye level was even with mine while I was seated so at least 38 inches of stocky snow white fluff.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous and just look at those paws!

I always think they feel bigger than Great Danes because they're so bulky and all-round huge. Great Danes are tall but fairly slender - Great Pyrenees may not be as tall but are broader and hairier, and you just feel that there's a lot more dog in front of you.

They're not great at obedience because they weren't bred for herding etc where they'd have to respond to a human. They were just meant to hang out with their herd of sheep and scare off or even kill any wolves that threatened the herd. Flock guardian breeds are very special dogs with their own particular strengths.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous and just look at those paws!

I always think they feel bigger than Great Danes because they're so bulky and all-round huge. Great Danes are tall but fairly slender - Great Pyrenees may not be as tall but are broader and hairier, and you just feel that there's a lot more dog in front of you.

They're not great at obedience because they weren't bred for herding etc where they'd have to respond to a human. They were just meant to hang out with their herd of sheep and scare off or even kill any wolves that threatened the herd. Flock guardian breeds are very special dogs with their own particular strengths.
Yes, I grew up with a collie. She was a big dog, but balanced on those slim legs made her seem way less imposing.
I'm excited to see how he will do with his livestock. I didn't know a dog could be trained to watch over chickens, but apparently he will. I've heard they will fight to the death. That scares the heck out of me but hopefully he will just be dealing with foxes and hawks coming too close.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
There are four Great Pyrenees at the farm. The youngest is Bandit, he is about 18 months old. He weighs about 100lbs. He is the yard dog he protects the house and barns. The 3 others are Princess, Queenie and Viking. Princess is about 110lbs, Queenie is about 120lbs and Viking is about 110lbs. The are the guardians of the sheep.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are four Great Pyrenees at the farm. The youngest is Bandit, he is about 18 months old. He weighs about 100lbs. He is the yard dog he protects the house and barns. The 3 others are Princess, Queenie and Viking. Princess is about 110lbs, Queenie is about 120lbs and Viking is about 110lbs. The are the guardians of the sheep.
OMG, wow! Quite a crew of huge dogs! I can't wait to see how this all works out for our family!