• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Great News!

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Hey guys! I have some great news. Before I went to school I cut up some cucumbers and washed some romaine lettuce. I put them on little wood clips and clipped it on the birdies tree. So I just came back from school and I was saying "Hi!" to the birdies and I noticed Ken was eating the cucumber!
I'm soooooo happy!:loveshower:
I still can't believe that they're eating cucumbers!:faint:
I went around their tree and checked out all the other little cucumber slices and they were all gone too!:joyful: I tried giving them chop before and they would not eat it. I guess I should have hung up some cucumbers a long time ago!:facepalm: I tried offering them a slice of cucumber on my hand but they got scared and flew away:hilarious:(they aren't fully tamed yet, they'll only come on my hand for millet:rolleyes:) As for the lettuce I'm not really sure if they ate any. But I'll offer it to them again. What other veggies should I try giving them? Also how much should I give them everyday? Thanks for reading!:D

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
My budgies will not eat anything out of their bowl that is not seed or pellet.
But if you hang it up like that.. they love corn on the cob, asparagus, mustard or collard greens, mint, basil - almost anything!

KKBB

Walking the driveway
My budgies will not eat anything out of their bowl that is not seed or pellet.
But if you hang it up like that.. they love corn on the cob, asparagus, mustard or collard greens, mint, basil - almost anything!
Wow! That's cool! It's so funny how they like eating it while it is hung up but won't touch it when it's in their food bowl.:laugh:

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Also, how much cucumber should I be giving them?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I do not recommend any fresh corn for budgies. It may lead to AGY. Corn is difficult to digest even for humans.

Last edited:

KKBB

Walking the driveway
I do not recommend any fresh corn for budgies. It may lead to AGY. Corn is difficult to digest even for humans.

Okay, thank you for your tip!

KKBB

Walking the driveway
I have 2 more questions. Can I give my budgie bell pepper? Also I notices that their poop was a little more waterier, is that because of the cucumbers? Thank you again for helping!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I have 2 more questions. Can I give my budgie bell pepper? Also I notices that their poop was a little more waterier, is that because of the cucumbers? Thank you again for helping!
Yep, thats normal, cucumbers are full of water. Most veggies will tend to make their poop more watery since they all provide more water than pellets do!

They should be able to have peppers. Mine have nibbled on the pepper seeds some, but I've never gotten them to eat the flesh. I haven't really tried hanging them though.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippin takes whatever treat she's handed and drops it in the bowl she has decided is for goodies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes you can give them bell peppers to eat. They can even eat the seeds. Also, cucumbers will make their stool watery due to the high moisture content in it.

srkn77

Sitting on the front steps
Mine eat almost whatever I offer them. However, when they eat a veggie hung with a clip, they generally leave out lots of chop-like pieces down on the newspaper. I can not tell if they really swallow what they bite or just grate them with their beaks and drop them out. Is that a normal attitude for budgies?

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Yep, thats normal, cucumbers are full of water. Most veggies will tend to make their poop more watery since they all provide more water than pellets do!

They should be able to have peppers. Mine have nibbled on the pepper seeds some, but I've never gotten them to eat the flesh. I haven't really tried hanging them though.
Okay, thank you so much! I really appreciate your tips! Good to know that most veggies make their poop more watery!:)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hang bell peppers and chillis for my conures they love it when they get a whole on and it keeps the occupied for ages

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Mine eat almost whatever I offer them. However, when they eat a veggie hung with a clip, they generally leave out lots of chop-like pieces down on the newspaper. I can not tell if they really swallow what they bite or just grate them with their beaks and drop them out. Is that a normal attitude for budgies?
My girl Barbie, when I offer her cucumber she takes off big chunks and throws it on the floor:hilarious: But my boys they take their time and eat it. What I do is, I see if they are "chewing" (moving their beak in sorta like a chewing motion) after they take a bite. I also watch them for a bit while they eat just to make sure they are actually eating it and not dropping it:rolleyes:

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Yes you can give them bell peppers to eat. They can even eat the seeds. Also, cucumbers will make their stool watery due to the high moisture content in it.
That's nice to know! I'll try giving them bell peppers and the seeds too! Thank you!

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Sorry guys, I have 1 more question:shy: How much vegetables should I be giving them a day? Right now, they only eat seeds (and the veggies I give them) but I'm trying to switch them over from eating only seeds to some pellets too.