• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gravid Lovebirds Poop

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I have five birds: Three Lovebirds (all of which are related
Hello, I know nothing about raising birds and was always curious about breeding related birds. Is this common?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hello, I know nothing about raising birds and was always curious about breeding related birds. Is this common?
Yes it is pretty common although kind of complicated. It is a really cool experience and I hand raised my favorite bird of all time. He is the nicest bird I have ever met. So if you are ready for the challenge you should think about it.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just want to say - I too thought that complete handraising was the way to go when my doves had babies. The bird will trust people so much more if they're handraised and be so much happier, right? Wrong. My Damien has no idea how to be with creatures of his own kind and it really is sad. He's still young so I have hope for the future but if I could go back and I had a choice (in my situation I didn't because he was deserted by his parents before being fully weaned) I would much rather have him been fully parent raised. Sure, he trusts people more but he also thinks of them as his mates and it makes for an awfully confused, sad bird. I recently adopted another bird who I hoped could be his friend but so far he is nothing but aggressive to her - in his mind he's protecting his mate (me) from a "strange" competitor who's nothing like him and should be fought off. It really is sad when a creature doesn't know what he himself is. I'd much rather have a "full" bird who acts as such. A bird needs to learn how to be a bird before it can be a happy companion for people.

@WilderNerd I would think about maybe "co-parenting" the babies. Where the babies are still in their parents care but you give them occasional feedings as well and interact with them thus. Let your birds be birds :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
IMO it really isn't a challenge to breed birds the real challenge is to find homes for all the ones that end up in shelters. Just curious about breeding related ones.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It really is sad when a creature doesn't know what he himself is. I'd much rather have a "full" bird who acts as such. A bird needs to learn how to be a bird before it can be a happy companion for people.
Correct. :) And you said it with much better words then I can.
IMO it really isn't a challenge to breed birds the real challenge is to find homes for all the ones that end up in shelters.
♥♥♥
Just curious about breeding related ones.
Inbreeding is never right.
Yes it is pretty common
Are you serious?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think WilderNerd didn't realize GreyLady was asking about inbreeding - he answered on the topic of handraising if I understood correctly?

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
You can still hand raise birds, AND have them near their parents to learn how to be birds, it just takes a much longer time to be friendly with people if parent raised, and most people DONT handle baby birds straight after they’re weaned. Making them much more, aviary type birds instead of people birds. It kind of depends on the parents, if the parents are aviary birds, the baby’s will grow up with little contact with humans, hence being afraid of them. If the parents are indoor birds that get much attention, then the same SHOULD be the case for the baby’s, but that’s not always the case. So it can depend on the birds you have. Where you keep them, and how much time you spend with them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Plus Kiwi has always been one of those birds that will pluck and even sometimes kill their chicks
It sounds like Kiwi is not a good candidate for future chicks unfortunately.

I know nothing about raising birds and was always curious about breeding related birds. Is this common?
Serious breeders sometimes use Line-breeding to get stronger genetics and more visually beautiful birds. I would think this is very uncommon in family birds/pets.
I do not believe in breeding such closely related birds that are pets, for eg I have a bonded sibling pair, I won´t be allowing chicks.

My Damien has no idea how to be with creatures of his own kind and it really is sad.
I have a similar feeling towards Sydney. He is such a sweet bird, but his love relationship is tragic. I don´t believe he knows what to do because the acts are not coming naturally. He was raised by me as an only bird and has been humping his boing for the last 4 years... he has now accepted a ¨friend¨ and will preen her... but it took a long time. They still have not mated, but I can see he wants to and is getting frustrated. I know that is my fault. I raised him well... but I am not a bird. I hold onto hope that in time, even if it takes a few years, he will know what to do... similar to how birds clipped as chicks adapt and somewhat bounce back :)

I would think about maybe "co-parenting" the babies. Where the babies are still in their parents care but you give them occasional feedings as well and interact with them thus. Let your birds be birds :)
You can still hand raise birds, AND have them near their parents to learn how to be birds
My young ones Lapis and Nube are great birds, they aren´t ¨super tame¨ wanting scritches or anything but they do come over and interact with me. I physically take them from their cage every day and they will step up, but they are birds birds. They like flying with their own kind. They bicker less as a couple than their parents (dad was hand raised).
I wrote a post about them if anyone wants to read: The Blue Team
It´s quite interesting to see their relationship standing strong :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Zara thank you for answering my question.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Serious breeders sometimes use Line-breeding to get stronger genetics and more visually beautiful birds.
I would say that serious breeders never inbreeding.
Only breeders that want more or different colors inbreed.
And they never think of the bird and what will happen later because it will not make the specie stronger.
All kinds of defect comes from inbreeding, for that reason you should chose mate that genetic is the opposite and not related in at least 6 lines to make the specie stronger.