• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gravid Lovebirds Poop

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hi, I wanted to ask a question. My lovebird Kiwi is laying a clutch of eggs and I am going to hand raise the chicks. I have done this before and have enough training to do so but that is not my question. My question is: What should a pregnant Lovebirds poop look like? They have mostly just been really big versions of her normal droppings but last night she dropped one that looked off. It was brown (as normal) but the urates where mixed in with the rest of the poop. It was also very wet but NOT to the point of diarrhea. Should I be worried? Is this normal? Thanks again everyone I really do appreciate it.
:sglb:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My question would be.. What did you feed her during the day yesterday. Some foods will change the color of poop. And what is the regular diet? How old is she and is this the first clutch?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Staff maybe this should moved to lovebird section, then people have lovebirds can answer this question better

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but the urates where mixed in with the rest of the poop
Sometimes my hens drop their big poops from up high and they seem like they all mix together when they hit the tray (usually first of the day or after a nap)
Did you get a vet check up before breeding? (or around that time)

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
My question would be.. What did you feed her during the day yesterday. Some foods will change the color of poop. And what is the regular diet? How old is she and is this the first clutch?
This is not her firs clutch and she usually eats a pellet diet with a slice of green apple and sometimes lettuce, strawberry, or grape. But that day I gave her lettuce.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Sometimes my hens drop their big poops from up high and they seem like they all mix together when they hit the tray (usually first of the day or after a nap)
Did you get a vet check up before breeding? (or around that time)
No she had a random clutch. She just started laying. Thanks for your help!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is not her firs clutch and she usually eats a pellet diet with a slice of green apple and sometimes lettuce, strawberry, or grape. But that day I gave her lettuce.
Which brand of pellets are you feeding? Are they multi colored pellets? Apple, lettuce, strawberries or grapes do not provide that much nutrition for your lovie... especially if she is using energy to produce eggs and laying is hard on a hens system. You need to provide fresh vegetables rich in calcium. I'm going to tag @Zara for a better diet for your bird since I'm busy at the moment. First.. is her poop still the same?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. But that day I gave her lettuce
What sort of lettuce?
I stay clear of iceberg and other light coloured lettuces and only feed the darker green lettuce. I use this as a what to feed guide (even when it is not chop): My Chop "Recipe"

How are you hens poops now?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
What sort of lettuce?
I stay clear of iceberg and other light coloured lettuces and only feed the darker green lettuce. I use this as a what to feed guide (even when it is not chop): My Chop "Recipe"

How are you hens poops now?
Ok great thanks! Her poops are back to normal, I guess it was just the one. Sorry. And I have been giving them romaine, is that bad? I thought it was healthy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Romaine is ok... but do include other dark leafy greens... very sparing on the spinach. I'm glad it's back to normal but do tell us what brand of pellets you are feeding. Also.... how many birds do you have? I see in your avatar you are holding a chicken.. be sure to change your clothes, shoes and wash your hands well before you handle your exotic birds to prevent transfer of bacteria or disease.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Romaine is ok... but do include other dark leafy greens... very sparing on the spinach. I'm glad it's back to normal but do tell us what brand of pellets you are feeding. Also.... how many birds do you have? I see in your avatar you are holding a chicken.. be sure to change your clothes, shoes and wash your hands well before you handle your exotic birds to prevent transfer of bacteria or disease.
Ok the thing is that I transfer the bird food into a container after buying it in a bag to keep it from expiring or getting stale to soon. So I don't have the bag and don't know what brand the pellets are but I can say that they are healthy, I am careful when buying foods. And to answer your other question: I have five birds: Three Lovebirds (all of which are related) and two budgies. The chicken was a friends. But thank you for your advice, In the summertime I am always outside caching animals like snakes and lizards and it is not uncommon for me to stumble across and injured bird and try to help it back to health. So changing clothes is a good thing to know. Thanks again.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Why are you going to handraise them?
Do you know that it's traumatic to both parents and babies.
You will have more healthy babies if parents feeding them, and they will also understand that they are birds, and behave like birds.
And you will have happier parents.
Consider how strong birds protect their babies in the wild (with their life) and now try to understand what you are doing to them when you take their babies.
Imo, it's very cruel, and I'm proud to say that it's illegal in my country.

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
You will have more healthy babies if parents feeding them, and they will also understand that they are birds, and behave like birds.
Consider how strong birds protect their babies in the wild (with their life) and now try to understand what you are doing to them when you take their babies.
Handraising birds gets them used to people, if they are to be friendly household pets, handraising them makes them easier to handle. They will trust people more when they are hand raised. Parent raised birds, (in my experience) do t like being handled and aren’t very friendly, ha d raised birds however, get along with everyone and is constantly happy.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm glad your hen is pooping normally again :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Handraising birds gets them used to people, if they are to be friendly household pets, handraising them makes them easier to handle. They will trust people more when they are hand raised. Parent raised birds, (in my experience) do t like being handled and aren’t very friendly, ha d raised birds however, get along with everyone and is constantly happy.
So sad that you have no idea of what you are talking about.
My sweetest parrot ever is parent raised and my most difficult parrot ever was hand raised.
Make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.
And I guess that you didn't care about parents that lost their babies either.

You can never have a better and well behaved bird then the one that is raised with parents that loves them.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
I understand your concern and apologize. But I will note that I feel that in the long run the chicks will be happier. They will get along and understand people and wont live in fear. Plus Kiwi has always been one of those birds that will pluck and even sometimes kill their chicks. I don't know why she does that. In the past I didn't have a choice to keep the family together because of the mothers habits. I am sorry but truly feel that in my specific case, hand raising is the best option. Thank you for your concern.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
I completely agree. Thanks for backing me up!:)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Plus Kiwi has always been one of those birds that will pluck and even sometimes kill their chicks. I don't know why she does that.
Because she don't want to breed under that circumstances that she lives or that you are making things that are stressful for her.
Imo, you don't breed with a female like that.
They will get along and understand people and wont live in fear.
So now my beloved sweetheart Akela lives in fear?
They will not understand people better because they are hand raised. I say that because they are hand raised they have no respect and more easy create aggressive and bad behavior.
I can't see anything positive with hand raised birds, only negative things.

Let parent raise their babies and asap when they are weaned you tame them. It goes really fast, from 2-14 days.