• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gratitude and 1 Month Anniversary

Lady

Meeting neighbors
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to post in my introductory thread several months back. I truly appreciate all of the information, tips, and suggestions.

We started going to our local bird shop off and on just to get to know the birds and hear their sounds. The shop also adopts birds that are surrendered to them, and we let them know we were open to adoption. My husband fell head over heels for a 5 year old blue fronted Amazon and, despite a rocky start (there was blood...oh yes, there was blood), we kept visiting her. She would drop what she was eating when we visited and come over to wherever we were standing, very excited and interested. She ignored other people in the store, she started imitating our laughs, and on the third visit, she leaned down for head scratches.

We adopted her, named her Bela, and man, she is so so smart and so cool. Take today for example. Her cage has a half moon section at the top that we like to open to give her a perch to hang out on. One of the cats was beneath the perch this morning playing with a piece of wood. Bela tilts her head staring down at the cat, then struts 6 inches over and if the cat hadn't scampered off right then and there, she would have had a load of bird poo on her. Bela looks at me and laughs! Ha!

She loves to dance, so we have dance parties a couple of times every day. We sing, she throws her head all around and makes little excited noises. She loves her showers, though we had to ease her into them (I'm not sure if she'd ever had them before). She talks herself to sleep and talks in her sleep, usually just little noises but occasional words, which is adorable. There are lots of pin feathers on her sweet face right now, and she'll angle her head to show me where the itchiest ones are. She steps up for my husband with little to no fuss these days (she often reaches for him from her play stand), but it's a 10% chance of a good step up for me and a 90% chance of a bite of some sort. So I'm working on having her step up on a T perch rather than continuing to risk my hands. She was terrified of the perch when we started the training, but she's coming around and I can get at least one foot on it every day now.

Thank you again to everyone! I've learned so much and still have a ton left to learn, but it's an absolute blast!

And a post is worthless without a photo. I had to be sneaky with the camera, as she hates cell phones.
Bela.jpg

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome Bela!!!!!
As a big fan of BFAs (Blue Front Amazons) I say you made a great choice!
They are just so smart and funny.
One more thing to notice: Have you noticed if she gives off a nice scent when she is happy to see you?
Amazons and Pionus have turned a number of us into parrot huffers.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Welcome home Bela!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congratulations! What a beautiful girl she is!

Lady

Meeting neighbors
One more thing to notice: Have you noticed if she gives off a nice scent when she is happy to see you?
Amazons and Pionus have turned a number of us into parrot huffers.
It's not all the time, but she gives off the nicest fruity musky perfume. <3 If I didn't know better, I would legitimately think she was sprayed with something. My husband smells pure musk, and our friend thinks she smells like black licorice. I admit to becoming a huffer!

I was so worried getting one of the 'hot 3' as a first bird, but she's been wonderful.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congratulations! She's beautiful and in great feather so it looks like she's been well cared for. I smell musk with my two and always compliment their cologne or perfume in Lola's scent. A great stocking stuffer for your hubby ( or him to you) would have been a well stocked first aid kit.... plenty of bandaids! If it's too late then a fun New Years Eve old fashioned red neck party bucket.... fill it with assorted fun items for the hubby with slim jims, microwave pork rinds, vienna sausage, if he drinks Miller High Life ( the Champagne of beers :laughin:) plastic cups and assorted bandaids, antiseptic skin wash... you get the idea. An old coffee grind can works well to fit all the fun goodies in. I live in the south so it's a popular thing to do here to give to friends. :D

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA Miss Bella!!! Glad to see another Zon here w/ all of us! :dance55: