• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grateless birdcage lining dilemma; Parakeets

SadieLadie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sadie
I have a cage that I don’t put the grate in since one of my parakeets had deformed feetsies and the vet said it could make her be in more pain, and want to keep it grate free for my new bird, are there any suggestion for a lining material for the tray? I can’t do paper because my very first bird died for an impacted crop because of the paper. Any suggestions should be much appreciated! Current plan is just unlined and to clean the tray fully, but I feel that that will get exhausting. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is your current bird the one with deformed feet and also a paper eating issue?
If not then I’d stick with paper given it’s probably the best, cheapest and safest option for disposable floor covering.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It all depends on if your new Keet is a chewer. What one bird leaves alone, another might rip to shreds and consume. I have had many handicapped special needs keets (budgerigar and larger) on polar fleece cut to fit the bottom of their cages. If your new bird is a fall risk, a padded fleece bottom and close to the bottom perches are good insurance.
But you always need to monitor for chewing, and if your bird is young enough to be nesty, fleece can be tunneled under and look quite inviting to hormonal birds.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree depending on the size you could find fleece blanket type things or even bathroom mats, you would need to have multiple but u could wash them every day with a washing machine

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Paper by all means. The commercial substrate that is sold in pet stores usually harbors mold.