• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Grannicks bitter apple

Rambosmother

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Anyone use this with success? I have the version for cats and dogs. They make one for birds but was double the money. Vet said it is safe but not to waste my money. I have to stop my quaker from breaking his skin open. He picks on one wing only. Starts buy pulling out some of the tiny blood feathers and then moves to breaking skin in same spot. It's only this wing and in same spot. He had two surgery on this wing so not sure if related and how to stop it. So far I'm just putting a collar on him when it gets bad. But once healed and I remove collar he starts again. Only this one wing and in same spot. Vet can't see why he is doing this. I bought the bitter apple but I've seen mixed reviews from it works to don't use it cause it leaves a bitter taste in birds mouth that doesn't go away. I also read the alcohol in it is not safe. But my avian vet said it is safe. Would like to hear from others who have experience with this product.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds have a lot less taste buds than mammals. I would think it's a waste of money.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It didn't stop Dobby from chewing forbidden things but it's worth a shot if it isn't stupid expensive.