• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grandma's Conure and Cockatiel the Seed Junkies

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
So my grandma has not been well and I've convinced her to come stay with me for the time being. Her birds are here too, I do want to take them permanently but I'll talk with her about that in a few days. Here's some background info
Tiel is a female, she is about 18 years old, Conure is a (presumed) male, he is about 10-12 years old. Both have been severely neglected and both have only been fed seeds. I'm going to start transitioning them into eating Zupreem natural pellets by making a pellet paste with water and seeds (like I did with the other seed junkies I had)
Anyway question is, what do your conure or cockatiels readily accept in terms of fresh foods like fruits and vegetables. She does occasionally give them a slice of apple to nibble on so I chopped up an apple and a carrot and that's what they're having today. I only have experience with lovebirds so if you guys know any favorites of conures or cockatiels, I only have experience with what lovebirds like but I'll be trying lots of different stuff with them

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The fact that they already readily accept apples puts you leagues ahead of the game! They'll be infinitely more likely to try other produce since they already have something they like.

Cockatiels are among those who tend to prefer vegetables over fruit. My 'tiel was once the junkiest of seed junkies and he still takes some convincing to eat his veg, but the ones he likes the most are broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, and leafy greens like kale.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
The fact that they already readily accept apples puts you leagues ahead of the game! They'll be infinitely more likely to try other produce since they already have something they like.

Cockatiels are among those who tend to prefer vegetables over fruit. My 'tiel was once the junkiest of seed junkies and he still takes some convincing to eat his veg, but the ones he likes the most are broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, and leafy greens like kale.
I'm going to grab some leafy greens from the store and hang them from the top of the cage because I've found that birds usually find that pretty engaging and they're more liable to try them. I don't have any in the house atm

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s wonderful that you are going to help these birds to eat better! My tiels like broccoli the best, followed by leafy greens, green beans, sprouts, carrots and freeze dried veggies. They don’t like anything too wet, so they eat the freeze dried the most because I can just slightly dampen it so it will stick to their sprouts. When they eat the sprouts they are forced to eat the freeze dried veggies.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, broccoli is a hit here. Mine really don't like fruit, anytime I have offered them some they turn their beaks up at it. Sprouted seeds are popular too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Since cockatiels are granivores, I do think they need seed in their diet and since the tiel is 18 I wouldn't do a radical conversion. Definitely try to get her to eat fresh- broccoli, squash, cooked sweet pototo, any type of lettuce, snap peas were some favs for my tiel Sunny. Nutriberries are also a good way to get a tiel who hasn't eaten pellets to eat pellets and senior nutriberries might be good for her too based on her age.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So nice of you to try helping these birds. I hope your grandma gets better soon and will let you keep them in your care.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
My grandma has gotten better and left to go home, she left the birds in my care for the time being (I think she wants then back Sunday unfortunately) but they did get a lot of new treats they wouldn't have gotten before. I bought the conure a kiwi and he enjoyed it, he's much more of a fruit guy. The cockatiel ate lots of broccoli while she was here but she is more reluctant to try things while the conure will accept new foods from my hands.
Tonight they're getting snap peas and a mix of barely, lentils, split peas and rice I am going to cook for them

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s fantastic that you made progress. Is it possible to sit down with your grandma and talk about the birds living arrangements. It is hard work scrubbing cages etc

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
That´s fantastic that you made progress. Is it possible to sit down with your grandma and talk about the birds living arrangements. It is hard work scrubbing cages etc
I've already talked to my uncle and I'll speak to my grandma again. She doesn't clean them often or change their water much. They really are being neglected worse but I can't forcibly take them from her. She knows I will care for them well but she doesn't want to give them up because she doesn't like change. I'll keep at it though

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck Phil! :hug9:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your grandma will listen to reason, and that if she won’t let you keep them at this time she will at least try harder to care for them. :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
So my grandma has not been well and I've convinced her to come stay with me for the time being. Her birds are here too, I do want to take them permanently but I'll talk with her about that in a few days. Here's some background info
Tiel is a female, she is about 18 years old, Conure is a (presumed) male, he is about 10-12 years old. Both have been severely neglected and both have only been fed seeds. I'm going to start transitioning them into eating Zupreem natural pellets by making a pellet paste with water and seeds (like I did with the other seed junkies I had)
Anyway question is, what do your conure or cockatiels readily accept in terms of fresh foods like fruits and vegetables.
Cockatiels are not big fruit eaters. But there are ways of sneaking it in. My particular way is mashed sweet potatoes with tiny amount of crushed pineapple 1/2teaspoon of pineapple and juice to whole mashed sweet potato. A pinch of cinnamon Ceylon. I've also tried mashing up cooked apple in not a hit.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
20191207_185512.jpg
Made some "gunk" (split peas, lentils, rice and barley cooked with dried basil and chilli flakes) and mixed in some seeds afterwards to make it more appetizing to them. The conure enjoyed the gunk, the cockatiel wasn't a fan (she's proven to be quite picky sadly) convinced my grandma to give me to the birds till tomorrow when we go to the doctor's. I am going to tell him the doctor as the hospital told her not to bend down and she has been bending to try and feed the birds and she ended up hurting herself (even though they had plenty of food) she really isn't physically fit to care for them. Anyway they'll have one more day at least of good food adventures and trying new things

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good work! I find cockatiels are suspicious of new foods. They also prefer things on the drier side, at least mine do. Of course, stick in a pea or corn and they’re all over it.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Good work! I find cockatiels are suspicious of new foods. They also prefer things on the drier side, at least mine do. Of course, stick in a pea or corn and they’re all over it.
I can tell it will be a struggle to get her to try new things. The conure will at least try things if I offer them to him with my hands

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can tell it will be a struggle to get her to try new things. The conure will at least try things if I offer them to him with my hands
Gosh you just never kjnow. I just gave the caiques some brand new cookies from Bodacious Birdie Bites. I mean, I've been waiting to give them these cookies.

They threw them down.