• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grandma's 18 year old, neglected cockatiel

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Thinking of renaming Fred because
1. Fred is my father's name
2. Why would you name a bird after your son in law

I think those are pretty good reasons. I was talking with some friends and I've been thinking of calling her Nova, but I'm still thinking

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Thinking of renaming Fred because
1. Fred is my father's name
2. Why would you name a bird after your son in law

I think those are pretty good reasons. I was talking with some friends and I've been thinking of calling her Nova, but I'm still thinking
I renamed my bird after he had a lot of baggage in his past I let him choose I gave her and called him by a list of names Install which one he responded to his name was Fred or Freddie and he responded to Percy it was his choice

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Big leap for Fred today, after a few days of hanging leafy greens from the top of her cage she began to eat the collard greens I hung up. I disposed of the old one and gave her a new one and she began chewing the new one as well

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yay Fred!!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Big leap for Fred today, after a few days of hanging leafy greens from the top of her cage she began to eat the collard greens I hung up. I disposed of the old one and gave her a new one and she began chewing the new one as well
Yaaaay Fred and Phil!!!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Trying new ways of offering vegetables to Fred, I bought her a nice jalapeno and I chopped half up and put it in a very shallow dish on top of her cage. I took the other half, and stuck it near her food dishes with a clothes pin instead of putting it in the dish. I'm still hanging up greens for her. I bought her some red swiss chard this time because I thought she may enjoy the bright colors. She is eating it atm but so far hasn't tried either jalapeno half. I also included her in the preparation of the food, I had her perch on the kitchen chair so she could see what I was up to. I offered her food after I chopped it before I presented it to her in the cage.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yay Fred! That is wonderful progress! Did you leave the seeds in the jalapeno for her? My birds go for the seeds first. The fresh chili seeds are not the same as millet or dried seeds they are fine to offer daily.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Yay Fred! That is wonderful progress! Did you leave the seeds in the jalapeno for her? My birds go for the seeds first. The fresh chili seeds are not the same as millet or dried seeds they are fine to offer daily.
Oh yeah I did, I figure that would be the first thing she goes for. I could even just halve it and leave the halfs and let her pick out the seeds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I also have good news about my Grandma's other bird. She gives him pellets every morning and he eats about 3/4 of the bowl now. She says he prefers them wet.
Fantastic news! So maybe she's one of those people who pretends not to listen, but really is paying attention.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Nova sounds nice.. it surely suits her :heart:

and what a wonderful person you are! Taking are of someone else‘s bird like that, i truely hope Nova gets to stay with you!!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Look who has finally taken to Roudybush! She'll only eat it if I wet it with warm water first but it's ok, I will cater to her incredibly specific preferences. 20200115_143427.jpg
Things have been a little hectic here with the ol' escaped tarantula but it's good to sit down and spend time with Fred (and the rabbit who also lives in the living room)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
This little girl won't take a bath and her face is always dirty because she prefers wet foods. Good ways to encourage bath taking? I'm going to buy her a large shallow dish (like a frisbee or something) apparently she used to take baths but only when the bath is on the floor so the frisbee might be a good idea then
20200121_123534.jpg
She got some steamed acorn squash for breakfast I think she approves because it's all over her beak.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I figure food on their face is a good sign.

All mine do things differently. Try: a wide, shallow bath
A slightly deeper bath
A bowl that looks like it’s too small
A different color container (black is NOT a fave around here)
Spritz bath with a spray bottle
If she is friendly, a shower on your shoulder
A walk in the bathtub, with 1-2” of water in it near the front only

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Also I've noticed Fred is quite protective of her cage, she never bites but she does like, threaten me if I come in to give food or change her water. When she is out of her cage we don't have this problem.

This probably stems back from when my grandma would open her cage and grab her like an ice cream cone, hands in cages are now scary.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Most cockatiels usually enjoy a spray bottle bath. Sometimes, it can help to run the vacuum while you are doing this! Or shallow dish with vacuum! Maybe she's one of those weirdos??? lol

And yes, I would agree... she probably associates hands in cage to be a bad thing. I've found it can help to station train birds away from whatever it is you are doing so you can continue to work.