• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gramstain came with 95%+ Positive Rods, but droppings (Urine specifically) have bubbles (persisting).

RishiNandh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rishi
I must provide context before asking. We went to a Vet here because her droppings were bubbly. To be honest, the vet was not the best. It was dissappointing because He was supposed to be the best vet in the city who see's the Zoo too. But I'm thinking the vet's Gram Stain results should be trustable simply because if he can't even do a gramstain properly, he couldn't have procured his vet license in our country (India).

So with the context provided, Basically we've been seeing bubbles for a month now, and went to the vet. The vet took Gramstain and Sedimentation. Gramstain came with 95%+ positive rods, the vet did not share anything about bacteria per field or percentage of positive cocci. But droppings have bubbles and prior to last month, ive never seen them. The vet (being bad) prescribed antibiotics (doxycycline, a variant of tetracycline basically) before even taking the gramstain.

I'm looking for advice on what to do now. Gram Stain is saying no infection, but dropping still having bubbles. I read other threads in which gram stain gave positive too and people gave probiotics because good bacteria were lacking. Should I try it?
(We have the antibiotic the vet prescribed, on the event of the Gram stain result turning out to be inaccurate and there is indeed an infection that shows other symptoms up, we can quickly react. I'm asking what to do if the Gram stain result is infact correct)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Clostridium is one of the most common bacteria that cause bubbles in the poop and it is a gram positive rod.
Doxycycline is one of the treatments for Clostridium tetani.

Giving your bird probiotics (at least 1 /1/2 hour after giving antibiotics) will not harm your bird in ay way.

RishiNandh

Real Name
Rishi
Aight so probiotics you say! Ill read up more on which probiotics can be given for birds.
Also, Is Clostridium pathogenic or is it just an overgrowth of gut bacteria?

RishiNandh

Real Name
Rishi
When I search probiotics Im getting India-biased results im not sure which one to take. Do you guys buy probiotics or things like yoghurt?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Powdered probiotics specifically meant for birds. in the US

RishiNandh

Real Name
Rishi
I couldnt find probiotics marketed towards birds here. I'm looking at vegan yoghurt & poultry probiotics (I found a list of bacteria strains generally added in Avian Probiotics and I'm trying to find poultry probiotics that have these and nothing else), meanwhile - Can I give my green cheek conure plain yogurt as a probiotic? - I read this thread, sounds like little bit of yoghurt cannot hurt her. I think ill share some yoghurt for now?

Any idea about this?:
Also, Is Clostridium pathogenic or is it just an overgrowth of gut bacteria?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, there are many strains of clostridium and most are pathogenic. Your bird MAY have clostridium, but it may be another microbe. Clostridium is just one that most often causes bubbles in the poop.

Poultry product probiotics are fine for your bird. If you use yogurt make sure it has live bacteria - I am not sure if vegan does - it is my understanding that vegans don't eat any animal products.

You need a vet to diagnose your bird's illness - we can only give you the benefit of our experience. We are not vets and cannot run the proper tests to diagnose your bird's illness and we do not have the education to diagnose.

RishiNandh

Real Name
Rishi
Yes, there are many strains of clostridium and most are pathogenic. Your bird MAY have clostridium, but it may be another microbe. Clostridium is just one that most often causes bubbles in the poop.

Poultry product probiotics are fine for your bird. If you use yogurt make sure it has live bacteria - I am not sure if vegan does - it is my understanding that vegans don't eat any animal products.

You need a vet to diagnose your bird's illness - we can only give you the benefit of our experience. We are not vets and cannot run the proper tests to diagnose your bird's illness and we do not have the education to diagnose.
I understand, Thanks

The vet was supposed to be the best one in the city who sees the Zoo too. But he wasn't even aware a positive rod species could be pathogenic. He said she is healthy, but also prescribed Doxycycline, said polyuria and bubbles are not signs of sickness and said several contradicting things. I wanted to ask here once, that's it.