• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gouldian finch losing feathers

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
Ok so I have a male gouldian and I’ve noticed that the feathers around the ear are kinda gone well there’s feathers, but I can see a little bit of his ear so just wondering if that’s normal? I feed him a finch mix and fruits and veggies and his in a outdoor aviary so he can eat small bugs but I don’t really know if his eating the chop it just looks like he just eats seeds. And he’s not molting, but he’s acting normal he’s never really that active but he’s eating fine.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have any pictures?

Noticeable feather loss is not normal, unless the bird is molting. Mites and poor nutrition are common causes for feather loss.

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
Do you have any pictures?

Noticeable feather loss is not normal, unless the bird is molting. Mites and poor nutrition are common causes for feather loss.
I’ll check if he has mites a bit later, and also the spot stayed the same for a week a two he also lost both of his two of his long tail feathers sorry if the pics aren’t clear just tell me if you want me to take a clearer one

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
*we aren't vets. Vet check is best*
To me, this is a nutrition imbalance. Gouldians need iodine, which many others don't. They also need access to vitamin D3 via either a full spectrum light or, better, sunlight.
This could also be an ear infection since iti's near his EAr.(sirry - bird is typing)

Crap - bird even posted. b4 I was ready. try a good multivitamin, feather fast, or another feather formula. Be sure no mites. Sunlight if at all possible.

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
*we aren't vets. Vet check is best*
To me, this is a nutrition imbalance. Gouldians need iodine, which many others don't. They also need access to vitamin D3 via either a full spectrum light or, better, sunlight.
This could also be an ear infection since iti's near his EAr.(sirry - bird is typing)

Crap - bird even posted. b4 I was ready. try a good multivitamin, feather fast, or another feather formula. Be sure no mites. Sunlight if at all possible.
My gouldian finch gets a lot of sunlight, and can you tell me witch fruits or veggies have iodine

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
Oh and also can someone tell me how to make my gouldian finch eat veggies and fruits

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
I’ll get some kelp but idk how soon due to covid-19

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might also try offerinv eggfood mixed with a general multivitamin, just to cover all your bases. The extra protein should help with feather growth and the supplement will help correct any vitamin deficiencies that might be lurking.

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
You might also try offerinv eggfood mixed with a general multivitamin, just to cover all your bases. The extra protein should help with feather growth and the supplement will help correct any vitamin deficiencies that might be lurking.
Thank you!! Right now I might not be able to get multivitamins and eggfood so for protein I’ll just try to give him egg