• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gouldian Finch diseases

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I've read a lot of articles talking about how common air sac mites and scaly face are with gouldian finches and what to do if your finch has them, but I'm not seeing anything about how to prevent these diseases. Does anyone know or have any tips on how to stop these diseases from coming?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
AIR SAC MITES:
Symptoms: Air sac mites infect the respiratory system. It can be a fatal but is most commonly found in Gouldians.
Causes: Transmission is caused by breeding cycles (parents to young and during courtship). Symptoms may include a gaping mouth, cough and loss of voice.
Treatment: Insecticide containing ivermectin will eradicate the mite. Ensure you treat all birds and not just the infected.

MITES:
Mites and lice on the surface can be treated with Avian Insect Liquidator Or Ivermectin

SCALY FACE OR LEGS:
Symptoms: Scaly like film over the skin from borrowing mites, can become fatal.
Causes: Transmission normally occurs through breeding cycles.
Treatment: In mild cases, the treatment of the bird with paraffin (also known as paraffin oil) or Aristopet Scaly face and leg treatment

Last edited by a moderator:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
AIR SAC MITES:
Symptoms: Air sac mites infect the respiratory system. It can be a fatal but is most commonly found in Gouldians.
Causes: Transmission is caused by breeding cycles (parents to young and during courtship). Symptoms may include a gaping mouth, cough and loss of voice.
Treatment: Insecticide containing ivermectin will eradicate the mite. Ensure you treat all birds and not just the infected.

MITES:
Mites and lice on the surface can be treated with Avian Insect Liquidator Or Ivermectin

SCALY FACE OR LEGS:
Symptoms: Scaly like film over the skin from borrowing mites, can become fatal.
Causes: Transmission normally occurs through breeding cycles.
Treatment: In mild cases, the treatment of the bird with paraffin (also known as paraffin oil) or Aristopet Scaly face and leg treatment
Thank you! Your website has a lot of good information I'm surprised I haven't come across it yet. This helps a lot :D

Last edited by a moderator:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
No problem. I took it down for awhile as I had to update the research with the new studies that came out in the past couple of years. Now that is back up I should optimize it for search engines- but I never got around to it, lol.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
No problem. I took it down for awhile as I had to update the research with the new studies that came out in the past couple of years. Now that is back up I should optimize it for search engines- but I never got around to it, lol.
I'm glad you update it because I've been coming across a looot of finch sites that have outdated information or just not enough. You should definitely optimize it. I think it would make a lot of finch people happy :joyful:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is up to date: Treating Mite Infestations - Gouldian Finch Information Center

If you have questions ask me. I've been raising Gouldians for years. I think my protocol is on there - but I treat every 3 months. I use SCATT, personal choice, you could also use S76.

Thanks for the tag, @Mockinbirdiva

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
This is up to date: Treating Mite Infestations - Gouldian Finch Information Center

If you have questions ask me. I've been raising Gouldians for years. I think my protocol is on there - but I treat every 3 months. I use SCATT, personal choice, you could also use S76.

Thank you for the links I'm definitely going to check them out! And I was actually just looking at SCATT and wondering if it actually worked so you already answered one question. Thanks for the help I haven't met anyone yet who owns gouldians :D

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa

I actually do have two questions for you now that I've looked through everything again.
Do you give your finches mite treatment such as SCATT even when you don't think they have mites just to prevent it?
Also, I read something saying birds can only get mites from being outdoors or from windows being open. Do you know if that's true?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I actually do have two questions for you now that I've looked through everything again.
Do you give your finches mite treatment such as SCATT even when you don't think they have mites just to prevent it?
Also, I read something saying birds can only get mites from being outdoors or from windows being open. Do you know if that's true?
At this point researchers have found that the majority of finches have air sac mites. These mites can get into a part of the air sacs where they’re unaffected by the medicine. They tend to flare up (wrong word, I can’t think of the right one) at times of stress. So yes— I treat regularly.

if you don’t want to treat on a regular basis, I totally get that. I myself am usually against using chemicals, meds, etc and normally go for all natural/ safe options. This is my one area where it’s so important... anyway just be sure to use SCATT on days 1 & 21 . And be really thorough treating the bedding and area around the cage. Then always be alert to tail bobbing, clicking with breathing, stress and you’d treat right away.When that happens, treat the entire aviary not just one bird.

If you read the article on types of mites, there are quite a few. Some of them would come from outside birds, assuming your birds had never been exposed. Plus what if your birds were kept inside but the parents or grandparents were outside, and the Breeder didn’t treat for mites? They would have been passed down.

Here in Florida lots of people keep them outside or in sheds that are somewhat open. So I always assume they’ve been exposed and do a really good initial treatment.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
At this point researchers have found that the majority of finches have air sac mites. These mites can get into a part of the air sacs where they’re unaffected by the medicine. They tend to flare up (wrong word, I can’t think of the right one) at times of stress. So yes— I treat regularly.

if you don’t want to treat on a regular basis, I totally get that. I myself am usually against using chemicals, meds, etc and normally go for all natural/ safe options. This is my one area where it’s so important... anyway just be sure to use SCATT on days 1 & 21 . And be really thorough treating the bedding and area around the cage. Then always be alert to tail bobbing, clicking with breathing, stress and you’d treat right away.When that happens, treat the entire aviary not just one bird.

If you read the article on types of mites, there are quite a few. Some of them would come from outside birds, assuming your birds had never been exposed. Plus what if your birds were kept inside but the parents or grandparents were outside, and the Breeder didn’t treat for mites? They would have been passed down.

Here in Florida lots of people keep them outside or in sheds that are somewhat open. So I always assume they’ve been exposed and do a really good initial treatment.
Thanks for all the help! I appreciate the advice :joyful: :heart: