• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gouldian Color guesses??

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Hello everyone!

I have 2 Gouldians about 4 months old. I have my own guesses for what head colors they will be, but these are my first goulds. One is a dilute greenback purple breast and the other is a yellow back purple breast. I would love to see what you think head colors will be! All guesses welcome! :)

Attachments

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Ooh wow! I (unfortunately) have no idea, because I've never had gouldians before! But I love what their colours look like already - it's so exciting to guess what your bird is going to look like!!! Please post pics when their colours come in - I would love to see them!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess purple for the first bird & orange for the second (my favourite gouldian colour). :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
There are three head colors - black, red, and orange/yellow. A few more, technically, like straw and grey, but those are the main options. The other colors are created by interaction with body color mutations, rather than a separate head color gene.

Do you know anything about the parents? Are they from the same parents or different?

Last edited:

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
They were bred in a large mixed pair aviary so I'm not sure if the breeder knows either as her color guesses were just guesses as well.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:uhm: Okay, I guess that totally disqualifies my first guess, LOL. Based on what Destiny said the options are, I vote black for the first one. Sticking with orange for the second. :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You did say * all * guesses welcome. :lol:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My guess would be dark gray for the green back and orange for the yellow.

I got my gouldians when they were a little older, so they were almost fully feathered out. Just a few feathers coming in on their faces.

20200603_092327.jpg

Resized_20200628_155207.jpeg

I love Lady Gouldian finches. They are so lovely.

20200628_181929.jpg
Resized_20200627_131210.jpeg

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Oh wow, all your goulds are gorgeous, but your silverback is an absolute DREAM!!! Do you name your birds? So many cool names ran through my head seeing that SB.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
His name was Sterling. :D

The two greenbacks are Crimson and Blaze. My yellowback is named Jasper. They are awesome little guys. Colorful in appearance and personality. And their song is soft and lovely.

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
My babies I think are still learning to sing, they just do single tones right now. occasionally I hear a little more which makes me think they're practicing. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My babies I think are still learning to sing, they just do single tones right now. occasionally I hear a little more which makes me think they're practicing. :)
Hah I love when they practice.
The first one is a black head, purple breast single factor (I think single. Could be the lighting). The second is yellow head (proper term for visual orange), lavender breast yellow back... pretty sure that’s a male.

Beautiful birds! Have fun.

The last photo is a red mask juvie singing to an adult male, who’s sooo not impressed. :laugh:

DCDEE68E-37BE-46D9-A26F-7772DEE4FB79.jpeg
F13027A6-36EB-4059-AF93-915060518E37.jpeg

A8BA50B4-F359-4A87-B209-618EA5A5284F.jpeg

36CDBC06-7DEF-4819-AAFB-372D5ECCC87E.jpeg
4E561371-240A-4816-8EB9-40E0A3242F85.jpeg