• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got sprouts - How do you get them to eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
OK so now we have a load of sprouts. Neither of my guys want anything to do with them.

I have tried hand feeding and mixing within the veggies hoping they get a taste for them. No luck either way.

Thanks for any help!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have always put mine in their birdie bread but just keep putting them in the veggies and keep trying it takes a long time for some birds to like them

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
Change is hard and takes a long time. The birdie bread idea is a good one.

Our human family loves sprouts so we used them in a salad and then let our 'tiel come over and think that he was stealing from the salad bowl. He stole lettuce and then accidentally took a sprout. He must have liked it because he then went back for more.

Good luck!

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
I will keep trying.

I did get Turk to eat one but I had to break the sprout off and he ate it like a seed. But hey, I got one in him.

They will continue to be on his plate just in case he decides to try them. We will add them to the birdie bread.

Thanks!

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Have you tried mixing it in with their treats? If you do a separate treat time, try giving them only sprouts in their treat time. I know our birds get them mixed in with their daily food, but occasionally during their normal treat time (5-6pm) when we empty their bowls, sprouts are the only thing they get for "treat" during that time. :)

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I have been pretty successful in getting my birds to eat anything I want them to. They just have to see me stuffing my face with it first, and acting like I want to eat it all by myself. :rofl:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
I had luck mixing them in with stuff like sweet potatoes. Or their pasta meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.