• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got my New Chicks Yesterday! - Question!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Sounds like this weekend has been a "new chick" event for many chicken owners :)

Yesterday, we got our 4 girlies, brought em home, and set em up in a home made brooder. They seem very happy so far. Chirping away, and so comical in thier curiosity, LOL

We got 2 Buff Orpingtons, One Mille Fleur, and an Easter Egger. I had originally wanted a few different breeds than what I came home with, but standing in that barn with literally THOUSANDS of various breeds and ages of chicks, I got a little overwhelmed and just took what my heart felt, LOL
I almost walked out with a few baby ducks too, LOL But I dont have a good winter water source for them yet, so I passed, but it was hard cause they were cute!!!!!

I will try to post some pictures later, but we just got a new computer yesterday too (our other one got a nasty virus and crapped out) and i just realized it doesnt take SD cards, so I have to find a USB cord that fits my camera.

In the meantime, I have a question. One of the chicks, somewhere between the farm and our house, obtained a minor eye injury. It appears the lower lid has been split slightly, maybe by another pecker, as they seem to peck at eachother often, LOL
I have washed it with warm water a few times, as the eye keeps gooping shut. Im wondering if I can use Polysporin Eye Drops, like you would for a ca or dog? Or if there is something else I can grab rom UFA to help it heal and keep infection away.

If there isnt an obvious home treatment I can grab, then I will have to run the little bugger to the vet on Monday.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Can't wait to see pictures.:D I got a Buff Orpington last year and she's a pretty sweet girl.:) For my rooster with a sore eye I was told to use terramycin which we got at a local store.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I will check at UFA (Farm Supply Store) for Terramycin.

They are sweet! I will work on pics for you all!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
How are they all doing? Is the little ones eye looking better?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
So sorry for the late response. I have been so busy! The eye is still healing, looks like it will permanently be obvious there was an injury, and it waters quite a bit, which I hope stops eventually. There was also a little scare as everyone started hunching, and sleeping alot, but now I have them on an Antibiotic powder in thier water (Tetracyclin or something) so hopefully they improve. This has been so much more difficult than I anticipated. I think next time, we will go with older chicks, or pullets or something beause I find myself so worried about them all the time! LOLBut, yesterday they had a fun playtime on the kitchen floor, and seem happy enough. Cant wait to get the coop done, and the weathe warm up so they can start taking outdoors trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.