• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got my hen a new cage and a few questions

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
So my Java Rice female lost her hubby/boyfriend about a week and a bit ago. As I know you have to quarantine the new bird, and keep eye on the older bird, I had to get a new cage. Since I was having to spend the money anyway I bought a much larger cage than I previously had. The old cage was only 24 inches wide which was FAR too small. I'm not going to go into why I hadn't upgraded along the one year I have had them. The new cage is 30 inches wide by 18x18. As this is a new cage for her she's been really, really flighty and FAR more easily spooked than usual. I did not add any new decorations to the new cage as I figured the old ones would make things easier.

The previous cage is now in use for my new male, fawn coloured. Poor thing is scared out of his wits. My old male did NOT sing at all but this one has already started to sing. My hen has stopped calling for her partner today, which is good, I felt so bad hearing her cry for him. Now the two are piping at each other. They are apart, 2 cages, about 3 feet separating them. The backs and part of the sides on both cages are covered all day with a sheet that's been folded over a few times so it's not see through. Using the same sheet on the new cage as the old because again I'm trying to make my hen more comfortable.

I am wondering if there's any advice on how to acclimatize them to their new homes. The male requires a nail trim but I don't dare attempt to do it right now.

The only real concerns right now are on making them more comfortable during this phase and maybe some advice on how/what to do when it's time for them to share a home. I've only ever had the one pair of finches in my life so this is all kinda new to me.

Now for what I do for them to keep them happy/healthy. I feed them budge seed, high quality. I also give them a small dish of crushed oyster shells, fruit/veggies are rotated to keep them interested. I add a vitamin drop to the water to ensure the proper vitamins are in them. I only trim the nails 1x a year thus far as they've not seemed to need a trim. They are not near anywhere they can get a draft from. I clean the cage 1x a week...or when it starts to look off.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you attempting to quarantine them in the same room?

I believe budgie food may be too fatty for them but I may be wrong so I will tag @fashionfobie and @Destiny in the hopes one of them may be able to assist you with some information.

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors

I believe budgie food may be too fatty for them but I may be wrong so I will tag @fashionfobie and @Destiny in the hopes one of them may be able to assist you with some information.
I just looked up more info, which yes i should have looked at before about the quarantine period. Problem is my home hasn't got any actual doors so I don't know what to do.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Congrats with the new addition to the family :)

We love photo's once both are comfortable with the new situation.

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
Congrats with the new addition to the family :)

We love photo's once both are comfortable with the new situation.
I will take a bunch of photos once they're both more comfy with things. For the moment the male, which I've named Fonzie, won't let me get within 3 feet of his cage w/o freaking out.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
I will take a bunch of photos once they're both more comfy with things. For the moment the male, which I've named Fonzie, won't let me get within 3 feet of his cage w/o freaking out.
I totally understand.
I have the same with the female green singer I got a week ago. They need time to adjust.

I love the name you gave him. Many moons ago I had a cat with the same name :) and it's the first time I hear that name from someone else!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard

while Japan isn’t the leader of avian medicine, they do have literal centuries of experience with caring for Javas so I’ll throw in my two cents based on what I’ve learned.
Javas can be kept on the same pellets as budgies (since they need the same size of pellets), but their diet is usually grains in the wild so unless this is seed mix for wild birds (which would be too fatty) it should be fine.

Pellets would be preferable but plenty of Javas have lived full healthy lives (~10 years) on seed. Could you tell us what brand of seed you bought?

Other than that, you seem to be doing well already and I don’t have much to add after everyone else’s comments, just be prepared to have to cage them separately if they don’t like each other. Javas have infamously short tempers and will get into fights fairly quickly.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A little unrelated tid bit,

For optimum use of the cage, turn the two perches on each side and attach them to the front or back or the cage so they are parallel. This will allow for short ¨flights¨ from left to right ;)