• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got my baby IRN.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Just got home and put my Indian Ringneck and a bigger cage. She is beautiful I will put pictures as soon as I can right now she's sleeping but can anybody tell me if the bluffing can start at 8 weeks? At first she seemed to just be curious about my hands but she was getting a little nippy after a while seeking them out to nip and didn't want anything to do with anything but my hands! Is tgis common of babies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bluffing is actually a warning and a clear display of communication, I can never understand why people keep pushing that it is not a clear display of the bird trying to tell you something.

Anyway- I can not wait to see some pics of your new baby.

:congrats5:

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
That's what I thought about "bluffing" to. It confused me. I guess my next question would be how to get her less scared and to stop lundging at hands. She does this even when ur not interacting with her just when shes out and about. Doesn't care about fruits or millet just wants to nom nom on hands lol

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best way to deal with bites is to not let them happen in the first place. If she's lunging at hands, she's telling you that she's not comfortable with hands. She's also doing this without actually biting which shows that she's a gentle, polite young bird! I would try encouraging her to step up onto a wood or rope perch. That way you remove your hands from the situation altogether - you don't get bitten, and she isn't forced to interact with something that makes her worried or scared.

I would recommend offering treats from your hands so she associates them with something good. IRNs tend not to like headscratches and mutual preening, so avoid touching her unless she very clearly wants you to.

If she's not keen on fruit or millet, try offering a range of other treats e.g. pine nuts, hulled sunflower seeds, pieces of almond or walnut.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
The best way to deal with bites is to not let them happen in the first place. If she's lunging at hands, she's telling you that she's not comfortable with hands. She's also doing this without actually biting which shows that she's a gentle, polite young bird! I would try encouraging her to step up onto a wood or rope perch. That way you remove your hands from the situation altogether - you don't get bitten, and she isn't forced to interact with something that makes her worried or scared.

I would recommend offering treats from your hands so she associates them with something good. IRNs tend not to like headscratches and mutual preening, so avoid touching her unless she very clearly wants you to.

If she's not keen on fruit or millet, try offering a range of other treats e.g. pine nuts, hulled sunflower seeds, pieces of almond or walnut.
When she goes for hands...hands aren't being forced on her. She will come up to you and go for your hands if you're 10 feet away or 20 feet anyway. We are not seeking her out with our hands and really in anyway yet shes not even been home 24 hours. Also she is nipping shes not trying she is doing.

Mantis64

My indian ringneck was pretty scared when we first got him and now my bird is used to hands however i am still trying to train him to step up onto my hand. He also loves his head scrates however each bird is an individual.

Mantis64

When young they tend to be nippy because they are intellegent and try to push you to see if you will react. You have teach her that this isnt a good communication technique by ignoring the bite and not react to it. Its most likely cause you just got her that she is being like this because she isnt used to you and the new environment.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
My indian ringneck was pretty scared when we first got him and now my bird is used to hands however i am still trying to train him to step up onto my hand. He also loves his head scrates however each bird is an individual.
That's what I believe as well. I hate to hear people grouping together all (IRN, GCC, MACAW ECT) they are individuals! I have a GCC whom HATES cuddles, being touched in anyway other than stepping up she doesn't like playing with toys as much the "clown" personality doesn't apply to her at ALL and that's okay because she's still my baby she has a personality just not what I expected when everyone said (she'll be this and that way)

Mantis64

That's what I believe as well. I hate to hear people grouping together all (IRN, GCC, MACAW ECT) they are individuals! I have a GCC whom HATES cuddles, being touched in anyway other than stepping up she doesn't like playing with toys as much the "clown" personality doesn't apply to her at ALL and that's okay because she's still my baby she has a personality just not what I expected when everyone said (she'll be this and that way)
Yep I have to give him head scratches for 5 mins at a time and sometimes longer and if I walk away or stop giving him the head scratches he will start to make these cute squeaky sounds demanding more head scrates.

Mantis64

Also just to warn you when she gets used to you and her enviroment she will be loud and I mean loud. But you are probably already aware of this and it doesnt bother me. Again each bird is an individual so she may be quiet and just chirp.

Mantis64

If you want to get her scream then just play natural indian ringneck sounds on youtube thats what I did when I first got mine they tend to respond to it. When I say scream I mean thr natural vocalization of an Indian ringneck its not really a scream.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
She calls to me when I talk to her she is loud but it doesn't bother me at all. She also "flock talks" with me a lot and I think its adorable! When I sing she chirps the end of the song lol everything is going good besides them pesky hand nips :)

Mantis64

Mine wasnt a hand reared one just to let you know

Mantis64

Yep I find it hard to belive but manye thats just his personaility.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations on your new little birdo!

Asiatics seem to learn a lot about their world beak first. My plummie was the most pinchy of any bird I have had. I started keeping foot toys handy and every time I picked him up I handed him the toy. Keep in mind that curious pinches and nibbles are actually very innocent. They are not aggression in the least, it is just a baby learning about the world.. beak first. If you are getting lunging or a true bite than it is always an issue of coming on to strong or not giving the bird proper space.

Bluffing is an old term and there have been some updates on approach to adolescent birds and improvement on how we should understand them. Check out this link: Do Animals Bluff?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If it brings you any peace of mind- One year later all pinches have stopped. Pi has learned what skin, nails and other human things are like.. and he isn't as impressed by the textures anymore. He has grown into one of the sweetest souls I have ever known. Asiatics are truly gregarious birds. They love their flock! Bring a sensible calm when curious pinches happen and do your best to positively redirect the beak to something you want her to nibble on.