• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got egg, need advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I agree with Susanne and the others who say that good quality F.S. Lighting is extremely important for all indoor birds, breeders and non-breeder birds alike. I myself happen to be in a tropical climate and my Tiels are outside year round - no problems with egg binding or soft shelled eggs here due to that fact I'm sure, plus of course the full flighted exercise they get in large long flights & the excellent as natural as possible diet keeps problems from arising.

Breeding indoors or allowing mating to happen indoors can create problems. Very important (IME) to have that natural sunlight (if at all possible - not thru window glass) get to your birds daily. Constructing an outdoor window flight, if possible (temp. controlled if necessary) is a way to see that one's birds get their needed sunlight.

There are many "bird lamps" that may not adequately provide what is needed by one's birds, not as well as others anyway. To the O.P. : Any chance you could provide pictures of your setup, the make of lamp and the specs of the lamp?

On a personal note: I am against destroying fertile life in an egg, whether one minute old or longer. IMO, if one decides to allow breeding/mating of one's birds, then one has the responsiblity to make sure they can find an excellent home for the resulting babies OR just not allow mating in the first place.

One can usually tell if one's birds are comfy, just by observing their posture, mood, activity, etc. ... If the birds aren't acting "normal" then heat, lighting, diet, exercise and stress levels need to be addressed/examined and adjustments made asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.