• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got baby teils need some advice 3week olds

Raid K

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
R K
- They are 20-25 days old
- they seem to squeel for food every 2 hours
- they squeel for food even after I feed them
- I was told to give them 8ml of formula 4 times a day or 15ml 3 times a day by 2 diff vendors.
- my questions are: what is the best portion vs meals a day to aim for with them.
- do they squeel for food when they aren't hungry just to eat more, like gluttony?
How important is it too keep them in a 33 degree Celcius environment? It's warm over here and the temperature indoors is around 25+-

Thank you

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Glad you joined to ask questions. Hopefully someone with tiel baby experience will come along. Read the link above provided. What are you keeping these babies in? I see a lighter and what looks to be candles in this photo. Candles are not acceptable around birds and could be very harmful or any kind of burning object.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to weigh them daily and keep a record of how much they weigh and how much they eat with each feeding.
You need to observe the crop and not overfill it.
What formula are you using?
Sometimes babies squeal because they are hungry and sometimes they squeal just because they are babies.
How did you get these unweaned babies?

Raid K

Real Name
R K
Glad you joined to ask questions. Hopefully someone with tiel baby experience will come along. Read the link above provided. What are you keeping these babies in? I see a lighter and what looks to be candles in this photo. Candles are not acceptable around birds and could be very harmful or any kind of burning object.
Hello movkinbirdiva,

It was leftovers from a bday celebration, the birds were in another room. The candles are electric and we're switched off. They are in a plastic box with a ventilated top. Holding them there for 1 more week before shifting them to a cage, as per the advice of the vendor. Please feel free to correct that suggestion if it's wrong.

Raid K

Real Name
R K
You need to weigh them daily and keep a record of how much they weigh and how much they eat with each feeding.
You need to observe the crop and not overfill it.
What formula are you using?
Sometimes babies squeal because they are hungry and sometimes they squeal just because they are babies.
How did you get these unweaned babies?
I got them from a vendor. He made it seem far easier and simpler than I discovered them to be. I'm currently following the advice from the link in the first reply l, feeding them 10% of body weight every 8 hours. Noting down portion and weight too. Thank you for your reply, I really wanted a hand fed cockatiel but no one provides, so I thought I can do it myself. Their crop empties after 1-3 hours, is that normal? Also they feed very aggressively after 4-5 hours of their previous feeding, is that normal? The formula is called 'king'

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hand feeding is never easy even if you do have experience but already know that. This site can help you and you should try to contact Ms. Russo through this site. Hand-Feeding and Weaning

It is normal for young chicks to cry for food every 3-4 hours as your babies are very young. Is there any way you can contact the vendor for additional assistance? The good age for a young tiel to go to a new home is usually 8-12 weeks, once they've grown all their feathers and are eating & flying with their parents guidance. They do need to be kept warm so the 25C+ will be a big help. Try to keep them protected from any drafts from air conditioning or fans. A towel wrapped around their container and over the top will help with that.

I'm guessing that you're in the southern hemisphere if your temps are 25-33C? Or somewhere warmer than the U.S. mainland at least?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No real advice other than maybe give them something *safe* to snuggle against. The article provided is good to follow.

I'm not familiar with the King handfeeding formula. If you don't mind us asking, where are you located at?

Raid K

Real Name
R K
No real advice other than maybe give them something *safe* to snuggle against. The article provided is good to follow.

I'm not familiar with the King handfeeding formula. If you don't mind us asking, where are you located at?
I'm in the United Arab Emirates, when I tried to Google it and got nothing, that was a sign of potential dodginess so I went and bought some better formula. Looks more legit. Starting it as of now. I'm doing 15ml every 8 hours, since 10% and 8ml barely affects the crop. 15 gives them a loose bulge so I'm far from over stretching it. 15mlx3 is what the vender suggested. I fed them 5 times a day on the second day out of ignorance, I kept the crop far from stretched at all times.

Raid K

Real Name
R K

This is the new formula I just switched to, it is fine and smoother than the first, and has proper Branding. I am able to make a thicker mix while not clogging the syringe like.the previous one used to. What weight patterns should I watch out for? Eg if they don't gain weight in 24h or 48, 36.... Any signs in the weighing bit I need to keep track of.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I didn't know inTune had a handfeeding formula... or maybe I forgot?

Ideally, they should be putting on a few grams each day, although sometimes their weight may stall for a day or two before it picks back up. You definitely want to make sure they remain active while they are awake, kept warm, no abnormal behavior or droppings, etc. Make sure that the food is the right consistency for their age, make sure they are digesting it.

There are a couple of countries where it's illegal to sell hand raised chicks, which I didn't think you were there, but thank you for confirming! I'm not sure what all is available to you where you live so I'm sure selection may be limited as compared to some other parts of the world.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to add a small amount of organic baby food to the formula. I usually used the applesauce or the peaches. It's not necessary, though. How many babies are you feeding and how are you keeping the formula warm as you feed each one?

Raid K

Real Name
R K
I didn't know inTune had a handfeeding formula... or maybe I forgot?

Ideally, they should be putting on a few grams each day, although sometimes their weight may stall for a day or two before it picks back up. You definitely want to make sure they remain active while they are awake, kept warm, no abnormal behavior or droppings, etc. Make sure that the food is the right consistency for their age, make sure they are digesting it.

There are a couple of countries where it's illegal to sell hand raised chicks, which I didn't think you were there, but thank you for confirming! I'm not sure what all is available to you where you live so I'm sure selection may be limited as compared to some other parts of the world.
Everything mentioned is being done, I keep their food warm by putting a cup in a cup of warm/hot water.
As of yesterday one of the babies whose age is about 4 weeks refused to eat dinner, it usually is ultra hyper with an appetite of a horse, keeps begging after I give it it's portion. I noticed she keeps nibbling on the wood shavings. I think something is wrong with her. Anyone here can help? I'd say she can possibly have wood shavings lodged In her crop. I'm planning to empty thier box of all wood shaving. Also is it normal for a baby to fly/hover for a second at the age of 28 days? Or is the vender an imbecile and they are older than he told me?

I'm planning to take her to a vet tonight, however if anyone can share any info before then it would be great.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Everything mentioned is being done, I keep their food warm by putting a cup in a cup of warm/hot water.
As of yesterday one of the babies whose age is about 4 weeks refused to eat dinner, it usually is ultra hyper with an appetite of a horse, keeps begging after I give it it's portion. I noticed she keeps nibbling on the wood shavings. I think something is wrong with her. Anyone here can help? I'd say she can possibly have wood shavings lodged In her crop. I'm planning to empty thier box of all wood shaving. Also is it normal for a baby to fly/hover for a second at the age of 28 days? Or is the vender an imbecile and they are older than he told me?

I'm planning to take her to a vet tonight, however if anyone can share any info before then it would be great.
You're probably seeing your babies beginning to practice using their wings. They'll stand/perch on something and flap their wings like mad - I jokingly call it wingercising (after jazzercising from the 1980's). Definitely take out the wood chips.

Raid K

Real Name
R K

Update: vet suspects either a blockage in her guy due to residue or wood chips, or a PDD infection. If it is PDD the baby is going to die and there isn't anything that can be done. So I'm hoping with the meds she will improve and it isn't PDD.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How and why did the vet diagnose PDD? Did he do any types of tests? What medications did he prescribe for the baby?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Might not be of any help, but check out this 'growth guide'.

Cockatiel Growth Guide | Feisty Feathers

And as babies get older, they do start exploring their world with their beaks. This is a good time to start offering a variety of foods, including sprouts and vegetables finely chopped up. Even if they don't eat it, that's okay!

If she's not feeling well, do keep a close eye on her though....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should consider covering the shavings with layers of paper towels or just remove the shavings and replace with layers of paper towels. When my babies were in the nest box the bedding was pine shavings but when I pulled them and put them in the brooder I used paper towels.

Raid K

Real Name
R K
How and why did the vet diagnose PDD? Did he do any types of tests? What medications did he prescribe for the baby?
He performed an x-ray, saw a enlarged organ related to the digestive tract. He still gave me some meds to give them, anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and some med to help digestion. Incase it's a blockage. Doc couldn't do much considering their age. Said most invasive examinations are life threatening to them.