• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Gosh, pet communities are amazing!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Though few of the pet communities/forums I'm involved in are as expansive and close-knit as AA, I've always really loved my local fish keeping community. Breeders and hobbyists and experts all come together to share their knowledge and share stories, and it's so welcoming and fun.

So, everyone in said community has known about my struggles with Bǎoshí's health, and have been with me through all of her issues since she first came home with me. When she passed away this week, everyone felt the loss.

Well, this weekend there's a pet expo in town, and one of the goldfish breeders in the community was asking me whether I'd be going, because she wanted to see me.

And I certainly did see her...as she marched over and gave me two gorgeous black moors, and a pair of juvenile bristlenose plecos.

Y'all, I'm going to cry.

moors.jpg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They're beautiful! I'm so glad you have such a supportive community. And I'm sure the plecos will be great fun- I have a soft spot for plecos and I've been meaning to get a bristlenose for the longest time. You'll have to post pics once they've settled in!:heart:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I was visiting a family with a 10 gallon goldfish tank. So covered in algea you could hardly see the fish. I told them about plecos. They had a VERY happy pleco the next week. He went to town and cleaned that tank in short order. They named him Hoover.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What a wonderful person. :)

...Welcome to the Avenue, little ones...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
shemarched over and gave me two gorgeous black moors, and a pair of juvenile bristlenose plecos.
That's awesome! And goldfish and plecos are both of my favorite fish! Congrats on your new babies. :aquarium:

Still thinking of names for the baby plecos.
I named my male long fin albino Davy Jones because of his striking resemblance to a certain Pirates of the Caribbean character :) and Princess Peach became Mrs Jones by default.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Though few of the pet communities/forums I'm involved in are as expansive and close-knit as AA, I've always really loved my local fish keeping community. Breeders and hobbyists and experts all come together to share their knowledge and share stories, and it's so welcoming and fun.

So, everyone in said community has known about my struggles with Bǎoshí's health, and have been with me through all of her issues since she first came home with me. When she passed away this week, everyone felt the loss.

Well, this weekend there's a pet expo in town, and one of the goldfish breeders in the community was asking me whether I'd be going, because she wanted to see me.

And I certainly did see her...as she marched over and gave me two gorgeous black moors, and a pair of juvenile bristlenose plecos.

Y'all, I'm going to cry.

View attachment 302513
That was so sweet of her! They are adorable little guys too!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Wow, that's amazing! :heart: What a lovely person! And beautiful fish! Welcome to the Avenue little guys/gals!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Less than 24 hours in, and personalities are already becoming apparent. Lüèduó and Wūyā are very attached to each other, and everywhere one goes, the other is sure to follow. Wūyā especially is a little tag-along, and is more nervous about exploring new things than bold Lüèduó.

The pair are housed right now in a nice, established 40 gallon on their own since I'm a quarantine nut, but they and Jīnlóng can see each other. He and his future tank mates are curious about each other, but the moors are definitely and understandably more affectionate toward each other as they've grown up together. I'm sure Jīnlóng will be a little standoffish for a while when they join him on his turf, but they're all around the same size so I'm sure they'll figure things out without issue.

The bitty itty plecos are going to be waiting a looong time before they join the goldfish tank, because they're barely an inch long yet and would make easy prey to a hungry goldfish. They're SUPER precious and like the moors they school together. Hopefully they're not a pair of males, but if they end up territorial they'll be living in a 100gal as adults so they should be fine.

I just love them. :aquarium:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Less than 24 hours in, and personalities are already becoming apparent.
This is the reason why I love goldfish so much. They just seem to have so much more personality than most other fish. :xflove:

The bitty itty plecos are going to be waiting a looong time before they join the goldfish tank, because they're barely an inch long yet and would make easy prey to a hungry goldfish. They're SUPER precious and like the moors they school together.
:swoon: If you're able, can we get a pic of these darling wee ones?

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:swoon: If you're able, can we get a pic of these darling wee ones?

It's nigh impossible to find them now that they're in their heavily planted new 10 gallon home, but here are some not-great pictures from when I first got them! You can tell how tiny they are by how big the grains of sand are in comparison.

Screenshot_20190428-124146.jpg Screenshot_20190428-124352.jpg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Awww so tiny! :heart: I can't wait til they get whiskers! :pinklol3:

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That's so sweet of her.

And awwwwwwwww adorable fishies and plecos.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
!!!! They're precious!!!! I love them!!! I can't wait until they start sprouting bristles and get big and strong!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The moor twins are so, SO active! I can't wait to get them in the big tank, they're using every square inch of their 40 gallon quarantine tank. I just love watching them, they're go-go-go at all times.