• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye Bowie - I loved you so much

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope the necropsy gives you some closure but a few hours may not have been enough to have pulled him thru. Its true often times when they show they are sick it is very advanced. Least he passed comfortable in his home where he felt safe & loved not alone & scared in some ER cage overnight.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Thank you everyone. Still waiting on the results from the necropsy, and will let you know when we hear back.

We are trying to fill that empty space in our hearts by giving more attention to the quasi-tame budgies we adopted in June. They have each other and don't seem to have a fondness for us, but we try everyday. I sit by their cage and sing to them a few times a day, and we both give them millet from our hands.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
UPDATE:

The necropsy results came back - the diagnosis was end stage kidney disease with gout, so there wasn't much we could do. What's worse - there was some miscommunication between our vet and the lab so he was group cremated, meaning we will not get his ashes. I'm devastated, and my significant other is furious.

We were told by his former family back when we adopted him back in April 2020 that he was 1.5 year old cockatiel, however the pathologist seems to think Bowie was a much older cockatiel than what we were told.

Do you think with end stage kidney disease he was suffering for a long time? He acted different around 3 to 4 days before he passed, other than that he seemed happy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Bowie.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Grieve & know you did all you could do. Bowie lived a happy life with you & passed peacefully loved & safe in his home.

I would look for another vet who feels competent & experienced to draw blood from a bird.
This one seems to have missed a large tumor which likely would not have had a different outcome & for some reason did not get your cremation request straight. Likely most of these mistakes did not hurt your bird or would have changed the outcome but it is important
if you want labs that you have a vet that can safety perform them. It is harder to draw blood from small birds & may be omitted due to
potential stress. Birds have died & there is a risk with everything. If the vet is just not competent at taking blood from a bird its best they do not. Maybe 1 1/2 years ago the kidneys could have been managed...maybe not... Still even though I don't feel the vet directly had any real responsibility for the outcome in a very negative way it still would be better to find one with more avian experience.