• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

good words/phrases to teach birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
What are some of your favorites?
I've run out of ideas and I'm ...we are...desperate for more.
My budgie is a wonderful talker and cuddles up in his "learning position" waiting for me to teach him more but I am running out of ideas.
Some he has so far are
<wolf whistle>, <the house contact call>, <chuckle>, gimme kiss <smooch>,
whatcha doin, hi Sunny, Hi guy, baby bird, scratch scratch, such a pretty bird, chirp chirp chirp, I love you, It's bed time, is it a bug, how 'bout it, come here, stepup..........
boy my brain is bad - there may be more I can't think of. Need to start writing things down.
Then there's the general garble and combinations of words and he does all the calls of my G2, BCC, and HM
(I have to admit it cracks me up every time he say chirp chirp chirp)
Anyone have some good or fun ideas?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can talk, can you fly? I'm not a bird, birds don't talk! I'm a little Budgie to the tune of "I'm a little teapot", Make my day! Debbie is my Mommy! Bite me! ;) Chaaaarge!, Gonna get your butt! Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Pookamama

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Diana
He is a talented little fella!
If Pepper does continue to gain words (she's at two words now!) I'd like to teach her, "What's cookin good lookin?" "Pick me up" "Want food" and a few different whistles: How much is that doggie in the window, Andy Griffith, and there was another one my dad was whistling to her I can't remember.

I'm curious with your flock-what birds do you have out at the same time? That's quite a variety you have there! I love the idea of getting a budgie, they sound like the most happy little chaps, but I don't know if it would irritate Pepper. She's got along fine with other greys, but I don't know if she's been around smaller birds.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
He is a talented little fella!
If Pepper does continue to gain words (she's at two words now!) I'd like to teach her, "What's cookin good lookin?" "Pick me up" "Want food" and a few different whistles: How much is that doggie in the window, Andy Griffith, and there was another one my dad was whistling to her I can't remember.

I'm curious with your flock-what birds do you have out at the same time? That's quite a variety you have there! I love the idea of getting a budgie, they sound like the most happy little chaps, but I don't know if it would irritate Pepper. She's got along fine with other greys, but I don't know if she's been around smaller birds.
If you can, get a handfed male budgie. I waited until I finally found another (this makes the 3rd handfed and 6th in a series) and I have found it does make a big difference. They are very happy indeed and love to chatter and play. Personally I find it soothing and it doesn't seem to bother the others.

The budgie can only be out with my Goffin as he has been great with budgies previously http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-photos-fairway/82875-goffin-budgie-buddy.html
The Goffin is also out to play with my Hahns regularly. They are good friends but need constant supervision as my Hahns can become a bully.
My BCC can be out on his playstand when the Goffin and Hahns are out, but my Goffin is way too much of a busybody to be left unsupervised in this situation. Will likes to be around other birds but not too close, and he's not agressive.
My 2 Amazons are in another room and spend all day out together.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I am currently trying "I talk and talk" and maybe I'll try "Gimme dinner"
Thanks for the suggestions, I will see if he is interested in trying them. At least now I have something to think about!

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My friend suggested I try to get Neelix to say "Help! They've turned me into a parrot!" which I still think would be a hilarious thing for a bird to say.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Well-with 8 Grey's I have lots of "Conversations" going on all the time:DSome of which is--"Help Help Let Me out" Answered by "Call a Lawyer" Another is "Birds Cant Talk--I can talk,can You fly?" Then there is the "Dumb Bird-Got NO Brains" answered with "NO Brains at all" Gemini yells out "Bombs away" when she goes potty:hehe:I could go on and on,but I gotta get to bed-5 AM comes SO quickly:(:hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
So far these are the words my macaws can say, besides their names:

Hello
Hola
Wanna nut?
Peek a boo
Good boy
Wanna come
Come here
Step up
Love you
Hi Baby
What?
No!
Get you
Uh oh
Rarrr
Ouch!
Bye bye
Eye Yiyi
Yumm

These are some sounds mine can do:
Kiss sound
Ah Choo
Laser beam sound
Laugh
Shhhh

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo and I are working on perfecting "Koopa is a silly bird" and "want out!"

He loves conversation triggers. But he goes on endless loops sometimes. I've listened to this the past half hour:

Hi!
How are you?
Fine, thank you!
How are you?

And repeat...

I try to teach him names for things. Right now he thinks the cats are called "meow", though he decided that Jasmine is "Jazz-meow" now :rofl:

I think my favorite thing he's learned is "I'm so cute!"

Status
Not open for further replies.