• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

*Good Update #39*Lola breathing strangely? Also scratching/sneezing alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainyg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elaine
She was doing it again last night when she was asleep on my lap, and I kept accidentally waking her up with the flash of my camera while I was taking videos, and she would have little moments of sleep where she seemed to be breathing normally. There was no blanket involved this time. I took her to the vet this morning but the avian vet wasn't actually in today and was working in another clinic so we were seen by a regular vet nurse instead. Needless to say I am not impressed... she looked at me like I was an idiot for bringing her in when she is allegedly "fine" and then proceeded to try and suggest I clip Lola's wings, so I hurried Lola up to my shoulder away from her lol. She figures that Lola is unfit and is struggling from the exercise of flying, causing her to pant and be out of breath. I explained to her that she only does it when she falls asleep, and I said "but... wouldn't flying around be better for her if she was unfit, rather then sitting and getting more lethargic?" (and Lola is in no way unfit or overweight... she loves flying and eats healthily, I have no idea where this vet is getting her information from...) she simply said that flying when unfit can cause stress on her heart and kill her. :huh: I basically just politely declined the wing clip and paid $50 for the privilege of this "check up"... sigh. Anyway, I am taking her to a proper avian vet tomorrow... she is otherwise acting normal and did have some moments of regular sleep last night so I hope it's nothing, but I am not taking the ridiculous advice of some random vet nurse who suggested I clip Lola's wings to fix the problem...
$50 to see a random vet nurse! OMG! Did she examine Lola...look into her nares or even weigh her? How ridiculous to suggest exercise would be bad for her! I'm glad you have a proper avian vet available tomorrow. How old is Lola?

snackies

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rebecca
Nope... She man handled her a bit and felt her but that was it... Lola is almost 5 months.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Yikes! You had to pay a consultation fee to have Lola examined by a vet nurse, not even a vet!? That is crazy!

I hope you get some answers tomorrow!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you definitely need to get her to a certified avian vet.. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping that your little girl is ok.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Rebecca, how has Lola been today? I hope you get the help you need and Lola deserves tomorrow. :sadhug:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
She was doing it again last night when she was asleep on my lap, and I kept accidentally waking her up with the flash of my camera while I was taking videos, and she would have little moments of sleep where she seemed to be breathing normally. There was no blanket involved this time.

I took her to the vet this morning but the avian vet wasn't actually in today and was working in another clinic so we were seen by a regular vet nurse instead. Needless to say I am not impressed... she looked at me like I was an idiot for bringing her in when she is allegedly "fine" and then proceeded to try and suggest I clip Lola's wings, so I hurried Lola up to my shoulder away from her lol. She figures that Lola is unfit and is struggling from the exercise of flying, causing her to pant and be out of breath. I explained to her that she only does it when she falls asleep, and I said "but... wouldn't flying around be better for her if she was unfit, rather then sitting and getting more lethargic?" (and Lola is in no way unfit or overweight... she loves flying and eats healthily, I have no idea where this vet is getting her information from...) she simply said that flying when unfit can cause stress on her heart and kill her. :huh: I basically just politely declined the wing clip and paid $50 for the privilege of this "check up"... sigh. Anyway, I am taking her to a proper avian vet tomorrow... she is otherwise acting normal and did have some moments of regular sleep last night so I hope it's nothing, but I am not taking the ridiculous advice of some random vet nurse who suggested I clip Lola's wings to fix the problem...
Oh goodness. Well that sure isn't comforting.

Did you read my post about the F10? Do you have any?

I hope you will be able to get in quickly to see your vet. It could aslo be asper, which I hope is not the case. Please let us know how she is doing.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
hope she's ok! That vet nurse sounds insane.. keep us posted on how Lola's AV appointment goes!

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Just checking in for an update.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
I'm really worried, do you have an update? Thinking of you and Lola! :hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I'm really worried, do you have an update? Thinking of you and Lola! :hug8:
Me, too. I wonder if everything is okay.

lainyg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elaine
Hi Rebecca,

It seems that Lola must be doing fine...which is awesome! But some of us would love an update anyway. I have a 'tiel who has also been mouth breathing (Hawkster is our 'old man' and has seen an avian vet) so I was interested in what caused this in Lola.

Thanks!
Lainy
Little Girl, Hawkster, TJ and Fuzzy

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I've seen her on AA, so maybe she just hasn't checked back on this thread.

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
I'm so sorry guys!!! I typed a reply on this thread the same day I was at the vet on my iPhone but I guess it never went through. ): I'm so sorry to make you guys worry and panic. Lola is FINE... The AV checked her out and has sent away for test results but gave Lola the all clear. Mimi is also healthy. I feel so bad that I made you guys worry, I made a effort to reply straight away at the vet and everything LOL stupid iPhone!!! ): I'm so sorry. I hear back about the results in a week or two, but the AV says Lola is fine and very healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.