• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

*Good Update #39*Lola breathing strangely? Also scratching/sneezing alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snackies

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rebecca
Lola was falling asleep on my shoulder and started breathing funnily like this. She has also been scratching her face and sneezing a lot more lately. I have not let her and Mimi come close together and have been washing my hands/changing shirts when playing with them... I don't think it's something she could've caught from Mimi because Mimi is not doing the same...? They have had no interaction at all... I have an avian vet booked in for wednesday anyway since I was planning to get both their nails clipped and Mimi vet checked, but not sure if I should be worried or not - does her breathing seem odd to you? She hasn't fallen asleep breathing like this before, and was making some raspy breathing sounds. If this is a bad sign I can get her to a vet tomorrow morning. She is otherwise acting 100% normal.

Sorry for the noise in the background, mum and I were watching a movie.

[video=youtube_share;CJBDdoeT2Ys]http://youtu.be/CJBDdoeT2Ys[/video]

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would get her to the vet ASAP. She shouldnt be open mouth breathing. Is she still doing that and how long has she been doing that? I would keep her warm and call the vet first thing in the morning. Was she under some covers? Maybe she was warm but even so she shouldnt be breathing with her mouth open.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Does she only do that under covers?...she looks like she's too hot and is panting. Chya will do that in my shirt and I make her get out and get on top of my shirt and she stops. Vet check asap just to be sure.

Last edited:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
she was under a doona, she likes to play and sleep on my shoulder when I have a blanket over my head or on my lap. She has been/is breathing normally when she's not sleeping... I only noticed her doing it just now, she wasn't doing it last night and hasn't been doing it while just perching/relaxing normally.

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I'm no expert by any means, but she looks to be working pretty hard to breathe. I would take her out from under the blanket and see if her breathing improves. If not, I'd get her to an avian vet ASAP.

Keep us posted - I hope she starts breathing normally again soon!

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
Does she only do that under covers?...she looks like she's too hot and is panting. Chya will do that in my shirt and I make her get out and get on top of my shirt and she stops. Vet check asap just to be sure.
sometimes when she flies around like crazy she will get puffed and pant for a few seconds, but it's different... her mouth isn't open as much and her tongue doesn't move like that. but she was under a thick doona, it is cold and rainy here today though.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
she was under a doona, she likes to play and sleep on my shoulder when I have a blanket over my head or on my lap. She has been/is breathing normally when she's not sleeping... I only noticed her doing it just now, she wasn't doing it last night and hasn't been doing it while just perching/relaxing normally.
Well I would take her out of the blanket for sure and see if her breathing returns to normal. If it does, then I wouldnt do that with her when she gets too warm.

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
ok, she flew out when I came on the computer to type this and is acting normal so I will keep on eye on her and see if she doesn't when she is not in a blanket. thanks for the help guys, will keep you updated.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I can't hear it that well. But I don't mean to be an alarmist but I would take any breathing problems seriously---- I had a sweet smart loving tiel, and one Sunday night I heard a very slight wheeze. I called the next morning immediately but the vet (now my ex vet) felt it could wait till the next day when she had an opening. That day the vet didn't hear anything until Fritzie started getting stressed, then "Oh that doesn't sound good" she swabbed her throat but thought the best thing was to send her home and just gave me a general antibiotic. Fritzie seemed her usual self that night, but the next morning she died in my arms. Most of the time I blame myself for going to that vet, and by listening to her. The vets I have now if you mention anything with breathing, puffiness, or weight loss--- tell you get in- asap.

I miss my sweet Fritzie and I wish my memories of her weren't tainted by guilt and remorse.

I'm hopeful that nothing is really wrong but I'd take her in right away.:hug8:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
I have heard many horrible stories like yours Pat, which is why I came here as soon as she started doing something abnormal... unfortunately I can't get her to a vet til tomorrow morning as we don't have a 24/7 vet around us and our avian vet closes at 12pm on a weekend. ):

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I actually can't hear Chya do that same breathing most of the time but I feel her body making the movement and kick her out. She does the open mouth as well but only when inside. I sometimes wonder if they just run out of the proper oxygen or something. Although Chya can get sick when stressed so she goes to the vet more like 4 times a year. I don't trust any changes with her. Keep us posted in the AM when you can get your baby in!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, as others have said respiratory difficulties are serious. If the bird is to warm or air supply is restricted these conditions could effect breathing. How do the nares look, could they be partially blocked or have mucus in them? A bacterial or yeast infection may be the problem. If you don't feel Lola is breathing properly in the AM, please go to your avian vet. In the meantime you could add 2 drops of GSE to a cup of water for her to drink, this will help yeast and is a mild antibiotic. The GSE is stop gap measure to help immediately. You still need to see your avian vet if you sense a problem.

Since you mentioned scratching, you might think about taking Lola in a hot steamy bathroom for 15 minutes. This will help break up any debris in her nares.

Gary

Last edited:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
Thank you - she normally comes into the bathroom with me when I have showers so I will take her in tonight.

I am definitely going to be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, just to be safe.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I was unable to view the video. It says it was removed.

How is she doing now?

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
she seems fine... playing with her toys and eating, she doesn't seem to be breathing like that anymore. am still going to rebook her into the vet for tomorrow anyways, just to make sure.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
If you should ever have issues like this in the future...

Do you have any F10? Breathing and/or respiratory issues must be treated differently than a regular infection. If you have F10 and a humidifier, you can put a small amount in the humidifier (with water, of course), and use it in an enclosed room like a nebulizer. Upper respiratory issues are very serious and need a strong vet-prescribed antibiotic, so an over-the-counter "antibiotic" is not recommended.

The F10 is awesome as a pre-emergency inhalation treatment until you can get into your vet (which should be quickly).

SOOOOOO glad she is doing better! I wonder if the fabric softener or something in the blanket was bothersome to her?

Anyway, sorry for the long dissertation above, but I thought it would be good to post that for anyone who has respiratory issues that cannot immediately be addressed.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Just checking... how is she? How did you make out at the vet?

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
She was doing it again last night when she was asleep on my lap, and I kept accidentally waking her up with the flash of my camera while I was taking videos, and she would have little moments of sleep where she seemed to be breathing normally. There was no blanket involved this time.

I took her to the vet this morning but the avian vet wasn't actually in today and was working in another clinic so we were seen by a regular vet nurse instead. Needless to say I am not impressed... she looked at me like I was an idiot for bringing her in when she is allegedly "fine" and then proceeded to try and suggest I clip Lola's wings, so I hurried Lola up to my shoulder away from her lol. She figures that Lola is unfit and is struggling from the exercise of flying, causing her to pant and be out of breath. I explained to her that she only does it when she falls asleep, and I said "but... wouldn't flying around be better for her if she was unfit, rather then sitting and getting more lethargic?" (and Lola is in no way unfit or overweight... she loves flying and eats healthily, I have no idea where this vet is getting her information from...) she simply said that flying when unfit can cause stress on her heart and kill her. :huh: I basically just politely declined the wing clip and paid $50 for the privilege of this "check up"... sigh. Anyway, I am taking her to a proper avian vet tomorrow... she is otherwise acting normal and did have some moments of regular sleep last night so I hope it's nothing, but I am not taking the ridiculous advice of some random vet nurse who suggested I clip Lola's wings to fix the problem...

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
here's a picture of her sleeping (like normal this time, don't worry. :)) on my chest last night. I was so worried about her I let her sleep on me for much longer then normal... normally I try and put her in her happy hut for bedtime so she doesn't get dependent on me to fall asleep, but I wanted to keep an eye on her. ): like I said she was still doing it, but when she would wake up and resettle she would breath normally for a bit... but would wake up and go back to breathing strangely again.

99f5334a1d9811e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.