• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Toys to enrich Baby IRN?

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Hi all,

My baby IRN has reached *that* stage where all they wanna do is explore and wander around. When I was handfeeding lovebirds, I found that they really enjoyed when I would be sitting with them and making new natural wood perches for my older birds so I would give them a few of my smaller branches and they would enjoy peeling the bark off of them. I got a new bunch of branches from my backyard (seeing as how Leo absolutely demolished the ones I made only 3 weeks ago :D) and so have given some to my baby IRN. He's having a field day with them so far but I was planning on heading over to my local bird shop and getting some new toys to start setting up his cage. Any suggestions or ideas on what would be easiest for him to start off with? I diy'd some paper toys for the lovebirds and they went crazy for them but definitely would appreciate some input from others.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
I’m going to tag the vendors, they might be able to help you.

@Vendor

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would start with natural materials first and make sure no loops or strings he can get caught up in, especially while you are learning his playstyle. Balsa, sola, yucca, palm, seagrass, and mahogany pods are all great introductory materials. Pine might be okay too but I wouldn't go over 1/4" thick and would offer against the grain instead of with the grain :)

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
I would start with natural materials first and make sure no loops or strings he can get caught up in, especially while you are learning his playstyle. Balsa, sola, yucca, palm, seagrass, and mahogany pods are all great introductory materials. Pine might be okay too but I wouldn't go over 1/4" thick and would offer against the grain instead of with the grain :)
Palm and Yucca is an all time favorite here and its good to hear that little bird can enjoy them as easy starters too. Really appreciate the advice,, I guess its time to start restocking my bird kabob collection :D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I agree with what @Mizzely said. These are all great starter options till you get to know your bird.