• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good news for parakeets!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm seeing on facebook that Petco is raising their prices for parakeets to $49.50, at least in some places!

I'm so glad, I feel like its a step in the right direction, maybe people won't see them as such disposable animals and give them the proper care if they're more expensive

I've also noticed in a lot of my trips to Petsmart that they've put in a veggie dish in the parakeet cage that's filled with chop!

Hopefully, they'll start selling proper cages for them, and giving better info!

Jogging around the block
So good to hear! Poor budgies, atleast it's starting to treat them better though!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What was the price before?

Petsmart that they've put in a veggie dish in the parakeet cage that's filled with chop!
That´s great :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought the Blue Boys at a PetSmart for $25 each almost 5 years ago...I had no idea how to be any kind of proper bird companion at the time :facepalm:

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
What was the price before?
I just made a trip today to get some supplies but no changes in my area :( The price has been $23.99 for as long as I can remember...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if the price increase is in areas where they have fewer supplied? Would be good if they upped it all over the country though. Maybe you can write an email to head office? Saying how you think it´s wonderful they have upped the price to add value to the birds, and that you hope to see it nationwide :)

$20, but they used to be even cheaper when I was younger. I remember my parents getting me one for $10
That´s about what they cost here6-10euros, so that´s somewhere around the 10-15 dollar mark

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Petco in Long Island NY raised their prices to roughly 50$ also and in a local petsmart I seen prices go up to 39.99 for the budgies as well.

edited to add: another local bird store parrots of the world started selling budgie babies for 75$

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m in Canada, and got Tango at petland for $45ish. They are starting to get better bird stuff though. They used to only have plastic toys and mirrors, coloured pellets and seeds, but now they have one okay brand of pellets and some non plastic toys.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Unfortunately the Petsmart in our area isn’t doing the same but I’m hopeful! Petco is better they actually care about the birds more and ask about your situation before they sell.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I guess vegans are getting to them :roflmao:
Good thing budgie prices are going up that way not just anyone will decide they can have a bird

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Yayyy! That’s great news!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t understand the reference to vegans. But I hope it´s not poking fun. We have many vegan members here as well as vegetarian members.