• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good idea?

MRamos

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michael Ramos
Hello everyone, Im in quite a situation.

Ive been looking at getting a green cheek conure for years now and im finally in a position to make it happen. I found someone local looking to rehome their 3 year old bird and its exactly what ive been looking for. The issue is that im going to be leaving on a business trip from Nov 6-19 and I don't know if 2 weeks of acclamation with me will be ok before I leave for another two weeks, leaving it home with my wife for the first week (6-12), and then my sister in law to house sit the last week (12-19). If i wait however, it will probably have been rehomed to someone else. Is this a good idea? Or should I pass it up and continue to look for something later on.

For context, I am a married 24 year old who is renting a house with my wife. Ive done lots of research on conure care and have been looking around for a bird for a while now. I work from home so I should be able to give it all the attention it needs day to day. I just dont want to stress it out by having new people show up to take care of it every week for its first month home.

Any suggestions?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never had a GCC, but I'd go for it. Taking an adult rehomed bird will help you avoid the pair bond, which is the downfall of so many with bigger birds. Maybe your SIL could come over frequently so she's not totally new when she babysits.

And welcome! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
eh, I would do it haha. It takes longer than a couple weeks to get acclimated, but it also prepares the bird that you won't always be there.

If you don't and the bird it rehomed to someone else, you may have regrets :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
not the ideal situation but probably will be OK. be sure to have your wife involved in care while you are home.
I would definitely have your sister-in-law come to visit and learn how to take care of the bird several times during when you are home and your wife is home.
That will make things much easier on the bird as all 3 of you will be part of the "flock".
Please let us know how it all is going!