• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Cockatiel pellets in NZ?

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hey all!
I am getting a cockatiel very soon but I’m struggling to find good quality pellets in my country. They only have Vetafarm and Harrison’s. I would get Harrison’s but it’s $110 for only 2kg,how long would this last for a 3 month old cockatiel? Seeing if it’s worth the price.

does anyone have any suggestions for other food sources.I’ve looked on Amazon also for the other brands but they won’t import into NZ or don’t ship

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Since I'm in the United States, had to convert your kg to pounds... but your 2kgs is just over 4.4#... I would think that would be WAY TOO LONG to store for a baby cockatiel... [unless airtight in freezer]. Surprised you can't get anything from Australia.

Anyway... WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :cheer:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Vetafarm is perfectly fine :) Harrison's says to only have their bag open for 6 weeks because it has no preservatives. You can freeze excess to help it last longer, but still that is so expensive! It would probably last you about 6 months though I would think.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
My budgies are currently on vetafarm :)

Pamela79

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pamela
Would recommend Harrisons my three cocktails birds love it or beaphar pellets seeds two because I’m from uk would recommend you to try it

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
The recommended serving size on the Harrison's bag is quite small, by weight, my budgies get 2-3 tsp each daily and my conure gets about a tablespoon. That's of the high potency super fine. The fine recommends 2-5 g/day for a cockatiel, so around a teaspoon (?) The bags I buy list the recommended serving by volume (teaspoons) while the website lists it by weight (g). I was quite surprised at how long one bag lasts for my 3 birds (about 2 months, I think).

Jogging around the block
I don't have a cockatiel, but I do use Roudybush Daily Maintenance and I am in NZ. I can't afford Harrisons having 14 birds and I decided not to feed Vetafarm after my birds refused to eat it after months of trying (but no reason your bird wouldn't),but they love their Roudybush. I order from Happybeak (happybeak.co.nz), I like the shipping (cost and time) too.