• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Cage Size for GCC?

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I’m going to be getting a GCC in the near future, and I’ve got most everything set up. I was wondering what the preferred cage sizes were for these birds. I’d prefer if it was under $200, but I would be fine going higher, if it’d be better for my new bird. I do live in the US, so I know some of your suggestions may not apply.

Thank you in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re welcome :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My gcc, Jade, is in a Prevue Hendryx F040. It's a good cage for the price (I paid 100$ for mine on amazon), but I would go larger if I had the space. But it does the job just fine, plenty of room for climbing and playing.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
my lovebirds have the prevue flight cage and its great. only one bar came bent. great cage tho

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My gcc, Jade, is in a Prevue Hendryx F040. It's a good cage for the price (I paid 100$ for mine on amazon), but I would go larger if I had the space. But it does the job just fine, plenty of room for climbing and playing.
I agree if you have a tight budget. ^^^

I have a cage problem...buying all these different cages and trying to make them super large..oiy. I think I'm finally sticking with two kinds although you can't get the A&E 38 wide flight cage anymore. They are a great size but the trays and grates have NOT held up well. So I ordered several of the A&E playtop cages. I wanted to make sure those by the windows had a lower cage height than the top window. I want to drop the windows down to let them out into the aviary. They shipped really well. Only one was iffy with a scratch or two. And surprisingly I think they are happier when out having the flight space above the cage.

Last but not least...shop around. Mybirdstore has 20% off often. So I was able to get cages from them for 350 and I got one from amazon for 327.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I prefer this chart for cage sizes. It's based on wingspan information, and ensures that your bird has enough room to stretch. Bear in mind that by the time you've added toys, perches and other enrichment, your bird will have less room than if the cage was empty (which it shouldn't be!)

A GCC has an average wingspan of 15.5", so the smallest cage size you should go in 24x24"

Reactions: Ali

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I honestly don't recommend anything smaller than a 32x21 flight cage for small to medium-small birds...

you can't get the A&E 38 wide flight cage anymore
I always wondered what happened to those cages.... shucks they stopped producing them :(