• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Good and sad news

razer

Meeting neighbors
My female cockatiel has five eggs and her poop is ok now. Just 1 hour ago the male disappeared searched all over and put out a reward in my city. My question if we cant find him in the days to come should I get another bird and what kind. Will it the new bird raise the babies if the eggs hatch. I am so heart broken and sad for her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure if another bird would step in to help. It may stress out your hen too much. I would wait.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you find your male. You can post on Parrot Alert too that he's missing, if you haven't already.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Put out his cage with food, and look close to your house at first, then widen your search. Bring your other bird out or record her calls. Set out speakers and play her calls loud. Post flyers and contact the vets and rescues in your area. Tell the neighbors, and don’t give up. I got my bird back after four days. There were plenty of birds of prey, it was cold, there was a very intense thunderstorm, and we are surrounded by forest, but she still managed to come home. They tend to stay very still and quiet at first, so you might have a very hard time seeing your bird. Bring binoculars.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When you say disappeared do you mean outside? I would ask to put this question in the breeders forum. @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My question if we cant find him in the days to come should I get another bird and what kind. Will it the new bird raise the babies if the eggs hatch.
No, and unlikely.
She will have to go the stretch alone if you don´t get your male back.
Are the eggs fertile? If so, this means you allowed the clutch and were prepared to step in should needs be etc. So now you will have to monitor her, be sure she is eating and drinking and if chicks hatch, you may need to help co parent, you will have to monitor this all very closely.