• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gonzo's colouring

lumpkin

Checking out the neighborhood
My raptor baby (cockatiel) is around 14 weeks old and she is standard grey. Her face has some yellowing kind of under the grey. Will this change with her second moult (first moult?) and become more yellow? Don't really care about what colour she is, she's my tiny baby raptor and i love her. Also I've seen a lot of conflicting advice about sunflower seeds. What is the truth about how good/bad they are for Gonzo?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You'll just have wait and see her coloring, as for Sunflower seeds, the grey stripes are better than the black oil. As @Zara says, small amounts.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If your tiel is a female, then the colors are likely to stay the same. However, if your tiel is a male, then the coloration will change some... i.e. lose the grey face, striped tail feathers and spotted flights. These will become solid - face yellow, wings and tail grey.

You can also feed sprouted sunflower seeds, but these should be in a mix rather than by themselves. Great for training!

lumpkin

Checking out the neighborhood
I bought seed where I got Gonzo and there were a lot of sunflower seeds in it. I've been sieving them out and giving them to her by hand. She also likes my glasses; earrings; phone and keyboard. I've been told to put her in time out - but then she spends a LOT of time in her cage. Is this natural? She is still a baby.

Thank you for your answers. I appreciate it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Time out?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It might help to teach her how to forage for food and play with foot toys if she's constantly going after your own stuff!

So try redirecting instead of punishing! Encourage that desire to explore and play, but in a constructive way! :D

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No time outs for bitty babies!!!

Those brains need almost constant interaction to figure out how the world works. Putting them away in a cage for downtime is one thing, some independent time is good. But time out punishment? No.

Bite at an earring? Bird gets removed from shoulder and given an appropriate toy to mouth.

Trying to chew off the escape key from the keyboard? Remove bird from computer desk and sit him on a play stand near you. Again, give him appropriate beak item.

Glasses are again a no-no, but that’s where you can put the baby on an appropriate surface. Like a play stand or perch.

Punishing babies for exploring by putting them in time out only teaches them isolation should be expected.