• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gone for the week

KieranKD

Moving in
Real Name
Tyler
Remy's dad is gone for the week, it's the first time he's ever been gone this long and Remy is already very upset. This morning there's been a bunch of screaming for his dad and a lot of lunging, he's already shunned his breakfast. He's just very agitated and upset, which is to be expected when all of a sudden someone else is waking him up. I'm going to try my best to keep him not as stressed out, but it'll be a struggle and I'm not 100% sure how to keep him happy.

In other news I'm still incredibly scared of birds but Remy and I are better friends and I'm getting loads better at reading body language. I can talk him down from "would totally bite me if I stuck my hand out" to "I'm tolerating you but don't press your luck". I definitely cannot randomly touch him without getting bitten like his dad or grandma but it's coming along.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Remy. Just give him some time and some extra attention. Also, as silly as it sounds, have you tried explaining to him that his dad is coming back in a few days? I think they understand more than we often give them credit for.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hey, can you do that face palm stuff on your phone?
I know my daughters talk to people like that and they can see each other.
Let Dad explain he is coming back, and to be a good bird for you.
I've seen even plain old phone conversations help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Face time is a great idea if the bird is missing someone.
I have seen a heap of videos of people talking to their birds over face time and the birds seem to really respond quite well to it, I have also seen footage of plain old phone calls helping a bird who is missing their person just like Becky mentioned.

KieranKD

Moving in
Real Name
Tyler
I'll have to see if we can arrange something tonight, yesterday I got busy and accidentally went 20 minutes past his bedtime. He was so ready to go to bed he didn't even give me any attitude, I walked into his room and his foot instantly went up poor thing :laugh: and then as soon as he was on the birdstand in his dads room (he prefers to sleep in there, and spends his day in the birdroom) he went wings up and was giving me smooches goodnight all while telling me off!

I've never taken care of a bird properly before, If you couldn't tell I really like it. Still scared to death tbh but I love him and I have my carrying stick so it's all good.