• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldenseal Herb, Echinacea Herb & Licorice Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m going to the health food store to see if I can find any/all of these..

- Goldenseal Herb:
Strong antibiotic properties. It has a long history of use in infections including bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic. Staph, strep, E. coli, Vibrio cholera, Giardia lamblia,and even tuberculosis bacterium have proven sensitive to this herb.

- Echinacea Herb: Kills a broad range of disease-causing pathogens, including: viruses, bacteria, fungi and protazoa.

- Licorice Root: Antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. In one Japanese study, strains of Staphylococcus aureus that proved resistant to penicillin and streptomycin were inactivated by licorice root extract.

The problem is that it that it doesn’t say how much to give and how often. Can anyone help me out?

I
’m also going to get Brewers Yeast, if anyone can give me a few more that will come in handy to have, please do!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I'd stay away from the licorice. I was taking it (myself) for a few months prior to when my lung collapsed from the bird dander several years ago. It contributed to an enlarged liver. if if can do that to a human it can also do that to a bird.

If Echinacea is given in excess it can cause vomiting in birds. If there is any renal/kidney problems it can cause an imbalance of the minerals in the body due to them being excreted. It is also the type of herb that is used short term, for a week, then off a week.

Dilute goldenseal is good for applying to inflamed eyes. it's best use is for gastriointestinal infections. Excessive use will kill the good intestinal flora. Laying or nesty hens should not be given this herb. But it is good to use if a hen is suppected of egg-binding to stimulate uterine contractions. Negative effect are lowering heartbeat, raise white blood counts, lowers the absorption of vit B, and more.

It is best to totally research each herb rather than just it's benefits. You might want to go to: www.holisticbird.org At the top of the page is a search box. Key in a herb and it will bring up a link to past posting from the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.