• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Golden conure baby

Bailey87

Moving in
I have a golden conure baby, about 6 months old. A little history. On September 18th, she saw the vet for true diarrhea and was put on doxycycline (I believe) for 30 days. It cleared up relatively quickly. About two weeks ago, she sneezed three times, once was wet. I added a vaporizer close to her cage, and haven't noticed it anymore. About three days ago, I noticed her stool had an odor, which I know is not normal. It seems to be on and off. Now today when she was playing she spit up a single piece of food. I'm am more than a little concerned, as I have never had a bird this young. My parrotlet and sun conure were older when I got them. She does have a vet appointment, but not until the 27th as that was the earliest available appointment and my emergency clinic does not see birds. Does anyone have any advice for me or have any experience with this sort of thing?
Thank you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Did the vet tell you what was wrong with your baby the first time. It may have come back or another bug started up because his immune system was depressed. Smelly poop is almost always a bacteria infection and needs antibiotics to cure it.

Can you call the vet you took him to before and get a prescription for Doxy over the phone. Also get some probiotics to give him.

Bird Poop 101 - How to Monitor Your Bird's Droppings

Odors
In general, your bird's droppings should produce little to no odor. Poop that seems overly smelly can be indicative of infection, intestinal problems, or other types of illness. This is not to say that you should actually get down and sniff your bird's droppings -- that can actually be harmful to your own health. Rather, pay attention when you bird uses the bathroom, and see if there seems to be any noticeable scent wafting around the cage. If your nose detects something that's just not "right" about the odor, it's probably a good idea to contact your bird's vet for an evaluation.

Last edited:

Bailey87

Moving in
I didn't think of that, I will do that first thing in the morning. The vet she saw originally doesn't have much avian experience, but the one she is going to on the 27th has been seeing birds for 30 years so I would be much more comfortable with him seeing her.
Mostly I need reassurance I think that she is going to be ok until the 27th of the original vet won't give her a new prescription without seeing her. She seems to be energetic and happy, eating normally. I'm so worried

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Parasites like guardia can also be a sign of smelly poop and diarrhea. I would probably call the vet and ask if she thinks your bird can wait until the 27th. I hope your baby will be okay!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
hoping that your baby will be ok.

Bailey87

Moving in
I explained to the receptionist what was happening with her and she didn't seem to think waiting until then was a problem. She doesn't currently have diarrhea, that was back in September. Thank you all.