• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gold Capped Conure Plucking New Feathers

JEDInPADA1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi All!

I have a wonderful, friendly, out-going, and fun-loving gold capped conure. He's 1yr. old and he's become my best friend. For the past 2-3 months, he has been yanking out (plucking) newly formed feathers (blood feathers, usually the tips are feathered and the middle/bottom stem are typically a mucus blood form still). He does this periodically throughout the day everyday. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I've taken him to the vet twice on this matter. The first vet visit, they told me that it was quite common in young birds. They told me he was going through a bad molt and instructed more vitamin A to his diet, as it would help reduce the irritation/pain in the newly formed feathers, which would make him not want to yank anymore. The 2nd time I took him (about a month later), he yanked one out that caused a very minor broken blood feather. The vet took the broken part out and instructed me the same thing instructions. At one point, he was getting better. He had yanked less (of all not at all) and was starting to have full set feathers everywhere. Now...I after a few weeks, I feel I'm right back where I started and I've been consistently providing the same care as before as a normal routine. Also, the vet said I shouldn't pay attention to him when he does it, to avoid future behavioral issues. My question is, has anyone ever experienced this or any advice to help lessen the yanking? I can't even begin to explain how much it kills me to see him yank them out, yelp, and then do it again at some point and time. While the vet is telling me to just let him do it, focus on some specific vitamins in his diet, I can't help but wonder if there is something else? The vet has told me other wise, that he is a perfectly healthy bird. No mites, bacteria, etc. issues.

On a side note, if this helps...his diet is Harrison's pellets, with dried vegs (carrots, peas, string beans), and 2 almonds mixed in to his daily bowl. He will get 2-3 Nutriberry treats a day with the occasional banana chip here and there. I provide fresh fruit/vegetables daily (esp. ones with Vitamin A). He has endless amounts of toys to chew on, play with, and I am always active with him. He eats and drinks normal. No change in his goofy, playful behavior. I just can't seem to find one single result when searching online about this issue. It's always results on behavior issues when plucking, basic info on molting, etc.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:bump4:

Reactions: Ali

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
1 Year old and plucking? That is wild. I would recommend seeking another avian vet (assuming your current vet is an actual avian or just "exotic").
It's not normal in ANY birds and should not be normalized. In such a young bird I would highly assume it is something medical (perhaps an allergy? infection?).

I have not dealt with anything of this sort, and any time there is suspicious plucking in a happy, seemingly healthy bird, especially of such a young and not plucking prone species, I would put money on medical.
My friend has a young cockatiel female plucking- she thought her skin was dry but the vet confirmed she had a bacterial infection of sorts and is being treated with meds.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Hi All!

I have a wonderful, friendly, out-going, and fun-loving gold capped conure. He's 1yr. old and he's become my best friend. For the past 2-3 months, he has been yanking out (plucking) newly formed feathers (blood feathers, usually the tips are feathered and the middle/bottom stem are typically a mucus blood form still). He does this periodically throughout the day everyday. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I've taken him to the vet twice on this matter. The first vet visit, they told me that it was quite common in young birds. They told me he was going through a bad molt and instructed more vitamin A to his diet, as it would help reduce the irritation/pain in the newly formed feathers, which would make him not want to yank anymore. The 2nd time I took him (about a month later), he yanked one out that caused a very minor broken blood feather. The vet took the broken part out and instructed me the same thing instructions. At one point, he was getting better. He had yanked less (of all not at all) and was starting to have full set feathers everywhere. Now...I after a few weeks, I feel I'm right back where I started and I've been consistently providing the same care as before as a normal routine. Also, the vet said I shouldn't pay attention to him when he does it, to avoid future behavioral issues. My question is, has anyone ever experienced this or any advice to help lessen the yanking? I can't even begin to explain how much it kills me to see him yank them out, yelp, and then do it again at some point and time. While the vet is telling me to just let him do it, focus on some specific vitamins in his diet, I can't help but wonder if there is something else? The vet has told me other wise, that he is a perfectly healthy bird. No mites, bacteria, etc. issues.

On a side note, if this helps...his diet is Harrison's pellets, with dried vegs (carrots, peas, string beans), and 2 almonds mixed in to his daily bowl. He will get 2-3 Nutriberry treats a day with the occasional banana chip here and there. I provide fresh fruit/vegetables daily (esp. ones with Vitamin A). He has endless amounts of toys to chew on, play with, and I am always active with him. He eats and drinks normal. No change in his goofy, playful behavior. I just can't seem to find one single result when searching online about this issue. It's always results on behavior issues when plucking, basic info on molting, etc.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.
Like many have said, he might of bumped into something earlier and just started plucking as a result.

Reactions: Ali