• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going outside the cage

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
Hello everyone!
My Pionus came home 1 week ago, he already learned to eat from my hand (only apple, he's obsessed), he learned to step up on the stick (still don't step up on hands but we are working on it).

One thing I don't understand is how to teach him to leave the cage voluntarily: I often leave cage opened when I'm in the room but he totally ignores it.
I also tried to "force" him to get out but when I put treats too far from him (for example near the exit), he just ignore it.

Sometimes I trick him to go on the stick and I bring him outside the cage, he is pretty scared at first but after that he explore the room (but does not accept food outside the cage); he also learned that "stick equals return home", so after a while he step up the stick and I'll bring him to the cage.

Here some images of his last tour: when he was on the cage he was scared and tried to understand how to return inside the cage.
On the shelf, he stayed still until he made something drop and he scared himself, started to fly and crashed on the window... Then started to explore under the bed.

photo6019078498917921547.jpg photo6019078498917921548.jpg photo6019078498917921549.jpg

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
You can try putting a perch on the cage door to give a better landing platform then hanging millet on the edge to encourage them to come out (or a bit of apple) but other than that I would suggest just leaving the cage door open all day and they will come out on their own time. :)

Btw exclusively dowel perches can be harmful to their feet as they are all the same shape/texture, you can add rope perches, platform perches and natural branch ones to help stretch and relieve pressure on his feet.

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
You can try putting a perch on the cage door to give a better landing platform then hanging millet on the edge to encourage them to come out (or a bit of apple) but other than that I would suggest just leaving the cage door open all day and they will come out on their own time. :)
I will do for sure. Do you think bringing him outside the cage with the stick could be useful or not? IDK, I thought he could explore and maybe be more confident in this way.
I also put some treats near the exit, on the floor of the cage, to make him more confortable with the different shape of the floor.

Btw exclusively dowel perches can be harmful to their feet as they are all the same shape/texture, you can add rope perches, platform perches and natural branch ones to help stretch and relieve pressure on his feet.
Yep I already know that, unfortunately I'm on a money shortage this month and I can't afford them until the paycheck... But I'll definitely change them with natural branches ASAP.