• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going on long vacation

shasta

Moving in
I'm going on a long trip next summer and am getting a green cheek. I've heard many people comment that if you have a bird you just don't go on vacation but that isn't a option for me (I'm a minor). It's a family vacation to Europe for 6 weeks and I don't know what to do!! I have some time but I need a solution at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirandamonett

Meeting neighbors
The bird store we are buying our green cheek from, and every specialty bird store we have been to offers boarding. I plan to make sure all of my family and friends meet and spend time with my bird so if at any point I go out of town they can stay with him and it should be okay. But if not I would probably board him.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you wait until after your trip to get your green cheek? 6 weeks is a very long time -- it's not fair to the bird to just get the bird and then shortly afterwards dump the bird for 6 weeks.

shasta

Moving in
I don't think I could wait that long. Next summer is in over a year! If it were this summer sure but it's too far away.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You should get a well bird checkup for your bird soon after you get him. Perhaps your vet will board birds, or they can certainly give recommendations for good places to board your bird. I prefer to board my bird at her vet's because if she gets sick there is a vet right there to take care of her. The office staff and techs are wonderful about getting her out of the cage and letting her sit in the front office every day.

It's not the best to leave her that long, but also is not fatal to your relationship.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think I could wait that long. Next summer is in over a year! If it were this summer sure but it's too far away.
Yes, but birds live for much longer, and you are young. It might be wiser to wait. Birds are forgiving, but it isn't really fair on a new baby to be thrown into so many new places in so short a time.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
If you had your bird for almost a year before you go on vacation that is absolutely fine. There are several ways to find a bird sitter, I have to find someone for some times too, the bird store is always an option but not quite cheap.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you had your bird for almost a year before you go on vacation that is absolutely fine. There are several ways to find a bird sitter, I have to find someone for some times too, the bird store is always an option but not quite cheap.
This is true. I went on a 6 week vacation last year after having both birds for about a year. Right now I am in San Francisco for 2 weeks. They were both totally fine when I came home last year, but they also had / have the benefit of my brother looking after them at my house. He lives with me and looks after them during the day normally anyway, so it wasn't a huge shock to the system.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should wait until you aren't a minor and have control over your own life before you take over control of another life. (So you actually have control over it. You don't now).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You've got a whole lifetime to do all kinds of things. You are a kid.

Your very well spoken for such young person. Your no doubt very intelligent but one thing you do not have and can not have at your age is life experience. You can't possibly know how bumpy and twisted that road is until you've travelled on it for quite a while and that's once "you" are driving and not just along for the ride.

You have many, many years ahead of you to fulfill all kinds of dreams. You are but a child that is thinking of getting another child. Imagine if you were to get pregnant now or get a girl pregnant now (sorry I don't know if you are a boy or girl?) and had to become a parent at your age. It would be overwhelming and something you will need to deal with for the rest of your life. On top of that the "child" you are thinking of getting is never going to grow past the age of 3 and is "never" going to move out. This child is going to need as much space, time and enrichment as you do. Not just a cage.

Live some of your life first and get those all important experiences under your belt. Become independent, stable and have a much more defined path before you make this life time commitment. You are going to want to meet and share your life with a special person also. This bird will be a factor in that even happening. There is no rush to do this because you are so young.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. A lot of us old farts do know because we've been there, done that.

You sound like a very committed person but there is no rush.