• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going on a vacation for about a month, will my lovie be okay?

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Hey! Been a while since I've been here. I'm going to be visiting my dad in another country for a month, and will be leaving my lovie with my mother and a friend. They will be supplying him with water and food everyday, keeping him company by sitting and talking to him, but aren't able to take him out much—by this I mean they'll only be able to take him out about once a week inconsistently. They're going to be giving him showers from time to time and everything. He has all of his toys and perches and has quite a big cage, but I'm worried he'll be lonely or bored as he is usually flying around in my room 95% of the day. Will he be alright?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe you could request they let him out 3 or 4 times a week? Once seems little. It won´t kill him, but it will be a shock if he´s had a lot of out of cage time before, then gets caged and only allowed out once a week.
The flight time is more important than showers because he can bathe himself.
Definitely make up a box of toys and plenty of foraging activities for you mum to put in the cage daily. Make up 60 things (they don´t have to be huge, they will only be in the cage for a day), and tell her to introduce 2 different things per day, ask she try to mix them up as best possible.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
ask she try to mix them up as best possible.
Or bag them up in sandwich bags yourself in pairs, and number the bags 1 to 30 (or 31 depending on the month), this way you can make sure they are mixed up well ;) If you want to add a larger activity one day, you can do that too and mix them into the bags.

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Or bag them up in sandwich bags yourself in pairs, and number the bags 1 to 30 (or 31 depending on the month), this way you can make sure they are mixed up well ;) If you want to add a larger activity one day, you can do that too and mix them into the bags.
Unfortunately, I don't think she would be willing to do that as she has a lot of work to do and will just be annoyed, but I am planning to get a few new toys (mostly shredding and foraging) that she can replace every once in a while so he doesn't get bored. Will this suffice?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Will this suffice?
I don´t think anyone can answer this.

Just remember, bored birds are loud, noisy, bitey birds.
If I were you, I would prepare the activites/toys, and leave them available for your mum. So if she does get chance, she can quickly add them into the cage. It will take her seconds, just like changing food and water. Enrichment is just as important.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I have gone on veryyy long vacations (2 months) and left my birds with a friend. The aviary ones are fine, of course, but Pistache (indoor bird) was the problem. She also couldn't come out of her cage too often, and she doesn't even know how to play with toys! (or at least she doesn't like them). So I have had this same problem. My best idea is music. The friend taking care of Pistache would leave the radio on for her, and that would entertain her enough. She has a very large cage that's big enough for her to fly around in, and she does really well! Obviously shes not as happy, but she has never gotten depressed or started plucking or had any issues. So I would just suggest having a radio on or other music for your lovebird, lots of toys, and he should be fine!
I know that sometimes it can be hard to leave your pet for so long, especially when you know that they won't be receiving the same kind of care that they usually do. But your lovebird should be fine with enough toys and things. Good luck! :)

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
This was really helpful, thank you! I will definitely pass on the message to put on music for him. ❤
I have gone on veryyy long vacations (2 months) and left my birds with a friend. The aviary ones are fine, of course, but Pistache (indoor bird) was the problem. She also couldn't come out of her cage too often, and she doesn't even know how to play with toys! (or at least she doesn't like them). So I have had this same problem. My best idea is music. The friend taking care of Pistache would leave the radio on for her, and that would entertain her enough. She has a very large cage that's big enough for her to fly around in, and she does really well! Obviously shes not as happy, but she has never gotten depressed or started plucking or had any issues. So I would just suggest having a radio on or other music for your lovebird, lots of toys, and he should be fine!
I know that sometimes it can be hard to leave your pet for so long, especially when you know that they won't be receiving the same kind of care that they usually do. But your lovebird should be fine with enough toys and things. Good luck! :)

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Will keep that in mind, thanks Zara! I've made and bought many new toys for him and have asked my mum to switch the toys once he has finished chewing them to pieces (which is typically
I don´t think anyone can answer this.

Just remember, bored birds are loud, noisy, bitey birds.
If I were you, I would prepare the activites/toys, and leave them available for your mum. So if she does get chance, she can quickly add them into the cage. It will take her seconds, just like changing food and water. Enrichment is just as important.
very quick). ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Make sure you know what kind of music your bird likes- I have one bird that much prefers talk shows playing in the background to music, the music seems to upset and unsettle him but the plain old chattering he joins in with.
I really do think it’s best to have a heap of simple foraging activities prepared, like @Zara mentioned, for your mum to just toss in the cage if your bird gets loud- there is nothing worse than getting a call complaining about your noisy bored bird when there’s nothing you can do about it! I always leave a box full of goodies that can be easily tossed in or on top of the cage to occupy my bird if I go out for a day (he’s used to being out a lot and will sometimes get loud if he’s locked up all day with no one to chat to), no one will get him out of the cage unless I’m home so all they have to do if he starts carrying on is grab the box and toss something on or in the cage and then everyone is happy and ok.