• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going from 1 to 2 budgies - how does the dynamic change?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi!

I'm preparing to get a second budgie once I've settled into my new home and got all the necessary items.

I would like to know from members here who have gone from 1 to 2 (or even more) budgies - how did your relationship with your first bird change?

I know Preeno would definitely spend more time with his new friend and be less sticky with us. He's not been that sticky since growing out of the baby phase, but when he senses some excitement he won't want to leave us alone :roflmao: What else should I expect to change?

Besides doing more training (I've been very tardy due to a busy schedule) I'll just let them do their own thing, but I won't mind the occassional hanging out together :') i'll totally miss that if Preeno is just like, "'Kay bye mum!"

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
When I got a second budgie nothing at all changed for me. Oliver is still very attached to me though Winston, the newer budgie, likes me but not nearly like Oliver does. It's been two years since I got Winston and he still doesn't fully trust me. Also my budgies can't live in the same cage which is not the case for most budgie partners. They fight and scream when they are in the same cage together (mainly the overdramatic Oliver!) So they live in two separate cages.

But overall the bond between Oliver and I never changed, it may have even gotten stronger.

clarousel

When I got a second budgie nothing at all changed for me. Oliver is still very attached to me though Winston, the newer budgie, likes me but not nearly like Oliver does. It's been two years since I got Winston and he still doesn't fully trust me. Also my budgies can't live in the same cage which is not the case for most budgie partners. They fight and scream when they are in the same cage together (mainly the overdramatic Oliver!) So they live in two separate cages.

But overall the bond between Oliver and I never changed, it may have even gotten stronger.
Oliver sounds like a real sweetheart! I guess it really boils down to the individual bird. Are Oliver and Winston okay with each other outside of their cages? I am also worried Preeno may not like the new bird and vice versa.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Oooh how exciting!
I had Flynn for 6 months prior to getting Charlie, and he was a ‘Velcro’ bird, always attached to me or my husband.

He loved Charlie at first sight, and at first, just wanted to be with her, but once he had settled into his new normal, began to enjoy lots of human time too again. He still sometimes has times when he is being a bit ‘Velcro’ but it has definitely mellowed as he has a friend, and I think he’s much happier. He is an extremely social bird and I think he does much better with the company of another bird who he understands, not just us annoying and weird humans!

the other benefit to having him first was Charlie learned to trust us extremely easily- she saw how comfortable Flynn was with us and just automatically assumed we were all friends. We really didn’t have to do much at all to win her over.

We did have a few issues with introducing them to one another and it took nearly 6 months for them to share a cage at night, because they were both determined to be the boss. Charlie the hen won out, but Flynn gave being the head a surprisingly good crack and we just couldn’t trust them together without supervision. I think this is quite rare though, and I seem to be blessed with feisty and persistent budgies:rofl: Charlie also has the bad habit of automatically assuming everything is exclusively hers, whether that be a toy, a food item, a new perch, a pencil (yes...) which really doesn’t help, and if two items are supplied, she marches between them defending them both... having said all that they have both mellowed a lot and are much less intense about sharing and they really do love each other. It’s definitely been worth it!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
There are many variables as to how a new bird will not only interact with you but also with your present bird. Personality, gender, age etc. can all make a difference. Suffice to say that if Preeno is tame and accepted you as part of his flock then your bond with him won't change. He may not spend quite as much time with you as he does now but he won't suddenly shun you. Once a flockmember, always a flockmember.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Oliver sounds like a real sweetheart! I guess it really boils down to the individual bird. Are Oliver and Winston okay with each other outside of their cages? I am also worried Preeno may not like the new bird and vice versa.
Yep they love being outside the cage together!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My Tweetie is the opposite of your Preeno. He's very timid and skittish. I had him about 6 months and he was just starting to eat millet when I held it up to him but wouldn't step up. I decided he really needed a friend to help him feel more secure. Buddy was looking for a home. He was raised by a wonderful woman from an egg and was fully trained and comfortable with people. When I put the two together, it was love at first sight. For about 6 weeks they were inseparable. Buddy taught Tweetie to eat food other than seeds. When something startled him, he'd look at Buddy and if Buddy was OK with it, he'd settle down. Buddy became a little less tame. If I hold my finger up to him, he won't step up. If he's out of the cage and I call him, he flies over and plays on me. Tweetie regularly comes to me for treats and millet and stands on my finger while he eats. When they are in the cage and I sit in the chair beside them, they'll come down to the perch beside by chair. If they are out, they'll fly to the perch on the outside of their cage beside my chair and preen or play with the toy there. They are still great friends with an occasional squabble that gets settled in seconds. If I have to separate them to take one to the vet, they call each other almost the entire time. My vet has told me to always bring them in together even if only one is sick.

As others have said, it depends on each bird's personality and also I think whether you have two boys or a girl and a boy. I so love my two boys being together and am so glad I have them both.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Having two budgies has always been a great thing for me, I’ve found that at least in my cases it will make both birds more active than before (they follow eachother around and play together)

Depending on the two birds you could have a very physically affectionate pair or just two birds who behave in a “hello, I live with you” way

Blizzard was the later, rarely participating in preening or regurgitated feeding, but she learned some headbobbing and whistling from him.

On the other hand Pickle loves to preen Kiwi and be preened by Kiwi, he has also learned headbobbing from Kiwi and has kind of learned some words. He and Kiwi also feed eachother often. They are a much more affectionate pair physically than Kiwi and Blizzard were but I can’t speak for how they were otherwise.

A pair will often influence eachother energy levels and amount of trust in you, they will almost always become more trustful or active.

Their dynamic probably won’t change too much but you will see more flock behaviors such as following/flying together, eating together, and preening together. I would overall greatly recommend having 2 or more (but not an uneven number)

clarousel

Thank you everyone! It's been lovely reading about your budgies :')

I'm quite excited about getting a second budgie because Preeno will finally have a friend! And also someone to give scritches (he can never decide if he wants us to) :xflove:

It's interesting to observe how he's been more independent recently - he'd hang out in his favourite spot without bothering us until he feels like it. I don't want to say his recall has been poor, but just that he has the few occassions when he's all "No! I wanna stay up late!" :wacky:

I'll update once the new budgie is here!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Even with a larger flock just adding one does affect the dynamics. Not in a bad way.
What's better than one friend? Two friends of course!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I am sure Preeno will love his new friend!! For all their madness budgies do really love having a buddy

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
Please just be very careful with introductions and take it super slowly. I do know someone who didn't and it ended badly.

clarousel

Please just be very careful with introductions and take it super slowly. I do know someone who didn't and it ended badly.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I plan to have them in separate cages with supervised interactions through bars when the new bird is done with quarantine.

I guess if they seem okay, it'd be safe to let both out at the same time?

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
But still at a distance as you watch them. Even outside the cage, there's a possibility of aggression. You just won't know until you give them time.