• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going away for one month

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone,

I am going to another country for one month for an exam. I am going to give my CAG to one of my friends. Here’s the situatuon:

- She takes care of mu bird better than me. Enough attention, more than enough playing, several kind of food each day (when she’s here).
- She loves my bird very much, but my bird doesn’t love her back. My CAG goes around the home with her, plays her and “sometimes” lets her hug her.
- my friend cannot take the cage because it’s too big. She will take my bird in a very small cage but she wouldn’t use the cage in her home. So Kido would always be in her room and on top of the small cage.

So what I want to know, my CAG is very attached to me, does this change hurt her? Although I’m sure my friend will take care of my bird better than myself. Change of location, change of the companion... what should I do?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She will take my bird in a very small cage but she wouldn’t use the cage in her home
It would be good to use that if your friend goes out, to keep your bird safe.
Do you now know someone with a van who can help move the big cage? For a month, I would look into that. Maybe rent a van? Sometimes in the paper you see ads for ¨a man with a van¨.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If she is attached to you then yes it will be hard for her to adjust as she will not fully understand the concept of you not being there. She is possibly likely to be a bit different to what she is at your house as they adapt to stay safe in new surroundings and situations. As they are smart and programmed to survive she will hopefully soon settle into a new norm after being in her new location with her new person for a bit. Will she be coming back to live with you when you return or this new person going to become her forever person?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I would think the cage would come apart. Paco is in a cage bigger then I am and his previous owner thought it didn't break down, it did. How small is "very small" I would be concerned that there are some issues that will cause stress, the different cage, the size and your absence. I don't want to cause more anxiety.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
It would be good to use that if your friend goes out, to keep your bird safe.
Do you now know someone with a van who can help move the big cage? For a month, I would look into that. Maybe rent a van? Sometimes in the paper you see ads for ¨a man with a van¨.
The thing is, my friend does not have space for Kido's cage. What do you suggest Zara? You've been with our journey from day one.

If she is attached to you then yes it will be hard for her to adjust as she will not fully understand the concept of you not being there. She is possibly likely to be a bit different to what she is at your house as they adapt to stay safe in new surroundings and situations. As they are smart and programmed to survive she will hopefully soon settle into a new norm after being in her new location with her new person for a bit. Will she be coming back to live with you when you return or this new person going to become her forever person?
I will take Kido back when I get back to the country. But I would love to hear your thoughts about the outcomes of both situations.

I would think the cage would come apart. Paco is in a cage bigger then I am and his previous owner thought it didn't break down, it did. How small is "very small" I would be concerned that there are some issues that will cause stress, the different cage, the size and your absence. I don't want to cause more anxiety.
It's a 90x60 cm cage. It is the cage that I bought to let her practice standing on a perch when he was 2 months old. But my friend would let Kido wander around in her room.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really have no experience with or information on this sort of situation so I can only tell you what I think I would do. I guess if it were me I would want what made the bird happiest and healthiest, so I would likely take the bird back unless it was obvious the new set up and relationship was making the bird happier than before. I guess I would possibly let the bird make the decision (or what I thought was their decision) if I knew the new home was as good as or better than mine.
I have no clue what the right thing to do in this situation is, I am interested to follow though :)

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just a thought...As far as Kido missing you, any chance you could do a FaceTime or Zoom meeting etc., in the evenings or weekends, a couple - 3 times a week for a bit so he still sees you and hears you and does not think he has been abandoned. May help his anxiety at the new living conditions and also yours. I just don’t know if it may make it harder but maybe others will have thoughts on this...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ayne you could borrow a cage or get one off Facebook market/Craigslist, just so there is a little more room when your friend is away and Kido needs to be caged?

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Update:
Kido is now at my friend’s room (without her cage). She eats, sings, chatters, talks and flies on their family member shoulders like always. I video chatted with Kido and she was trying to adjust her head so I can scratch her head
What’s the next steps?