• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going away for 3 days

TwoBudgies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kike
Hi,

We are going away for 3 days. We have two budgies in the same cage. We have auto feeders for food and clean water. Is it possible to leave them alone for 3 days? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you in advance!

Kike

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello! I usually worry too much about my pets when I travel to have them unattended for so long, and will have a petsitter come in twice a day to check in on them. I have read a few horror stories about things going abruptly wrong, especially if something happens and a mate attacks or even kills the other one (very out of the blue, and not based on how long they have known each other).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have bigger parrots so I'm dumb on this.

But with an auto feeder, does it empty the hulls of the bird seed? If not, are the birds actually being fed?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh forgot to add, I'd still have someone come in at least once a day to check on them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I leave mine overnight but no longer. I have someone check in, make sure they are alive, have food and water, etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As someone who has had weird, freak accidents with birds, I would have someone come in and check on them.

TwoBudgies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kike
What I meant by auto feeder is that no-mess bird feeder where you can leave a lot and they don't get dirty. Please see attached images.

What do you think? Do you think it's possible to leave them alone for 3 days? Any suggestions? Thank you again!
61DlACuSpZL._SL1500_.jpg 51jCp5BP-CL._SL1000_.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nothing works 100% of the time.

No toy is safe 100% of the time.

No birds get along 100% of the time.

Even if the chances are 1 in 1000 that something bad will happen...the chance still exists. It is mitigated by having someone check in on them at least once a day.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would have someone come in and check on them once or possibly twice a day. Perhaps you could even have a close friend or family member stay in your home while you are gone.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I have automatic dog feeders/water bowls, and they don't work all the time. Sometimes, the food gets stuck on the way out, sometimes, a bug somehow manages to get into the water tanl. I wouldn't leave water standing in there for that long, as it can get all slimy and gross.

And what if your budgies want a bath? What if someone tries to squirm their way into the feeder and gets stuck? What if the feeder gets knocked askew and no more food comes out? What if someone gets a leg or wing caught in it? What if someone poops on the little bits the water and food come out of? That's two days of poop contaminated food and water. Or, what if someone decides it's fun to put ALL the seeds in the water dish and clogs it right up, leaving them without any source of water?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
And what if your budgies foot, toe or neck get caught in something and no one is there for a span of time? What if there is a power failure. Do the automatic feeders
have a battery backup?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with the others, there's always just a small chance of them knocking a feeder or waterer loose, and their metabolisms are fast enough that they could starve in just 24-36 hours. I'd ask a neighbor or pet sitter to look in once a day and change the water if it looks dirty. If you're going for a weekend (leaving Fri and back Sun) you could probably get by with someone just checking in on Sat.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I leave my pair of keets alone for two days and no longer than three days. Every few weeks I take a two hour drive to visit my parents and I usually spend two nights there. I have a home security camera looking directly at their cage and it live streams to my phone. I check in on them multiple times a day. I make sure every one is present (my two keets and two bourkes) and looking healthy. Usually when I check on them they're happily bouncing around being crazy. If anything seemed to be wrong I'd immediately start my trip back to take care of whatever problem. I know this can't prevent every accident and depending on the scenario I might not get back in time to help but the same goes for having someone physically going to check on them. If they're only going to check one to two times per day they could easily walk in on an accident and be too late do do anything. Overall, leaving your birds no matter what precautions you put in place is risky.

I leave each pair of my birds with two full food bowls, two water bowls, and they always have access to a water bottle but I haven't seen them use it yet. I put their water bowls in the higher spots to help keep them clean, and usually all four bowls are in good condition when I get back. They don't get poop on their bowls very often. I also have extra bowls I can put in if I'm expecting to be gone three days instead of the usual two. I'd rather overload them instead of them not have enough.

Before I leave I check their toys and remove any that could be a risk. I give them new toys if needed to help keep them busy while I'm gone. I usually give them some millet to forage for. I leave the curtains open so they get some light during the day and they go to sleep when it gets dark.

I'm hoping to move closer to home soon so I won't have to leave them anymore but for now having the camera on them gives me some peace of mind, I really hate leaving them.

This is what I can see from the camera on my phone. It's not the best but I can see all 4 birds and check in any time I want.

IMG_6002.PNG

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I have left my two budgies for three days. But..... You must trim their nails first. Mine have got their feet caught on things when their nails r too long. And remove any toys or fabric from the cage that their nails could get caught in , or that their legs could get caught in