• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins Talking- Difference between male and female?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I feel like my knowledge of cockatiels is a lot greater than my knowledge of goffins. Even though I have both. With tiels, it's well known that males are more likely to talk than females. Which made me wonder, do male goffins talk more/better than females or is it the same? (And it doesn't matter to me if a bird talks or not. It's cool, of course, but not why I have them as companions.) So, I thought I'd take an informal poll and ask- how much does your goffin talk and of course, male or female?

Elvis (male) doesn't have a huge vocabulary but I think he speaks pretty clearly and he talks regularly throughout the day, with him talking the most usually right after he gets covered up for bed- I think to get me to stay with him longer. :rolleyes: He says: "Hi Elvis", "Hello", "Goodnight Elvis", "What", "What Elvis", "Hey Elvis", "Come on Elvis", "Up", "Step up", "I love Elvis" and "Hi Blanket" (he made that phrase up himself. LOL.) He's also a little obsessed with his name if you didn't pick that up. ;) He knows that he's "Elvis" but sometimes I think he thinks I'm "Elvis" too.......

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sweden used to talk more when she was young.
She'll say 'hi little we', 'bedtime little we', 'dirty little we bird', 'good little we bird' the usual hi and bye.
Never was one for intricate talk.
She still talks, but not as much.
She does put 'little we bird' in most of her comments.
Can you guess her nick name is 'little we bird'? :laugh:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sweden used to talk more when she was young.
She'll say 'hi little we', 'bedtime little we', 'dirty little we bird', 'good little we bird' the usual hi and bye.
Never was one for intricate talk.
She still talks, but not as much.
She does put 'little we bird' in most of her comments.
Can you guess her nick name is 'little we bird'? :laugh:
"Little we bird" is adorable. So now, I'm curious, do other goffins add their "name" to things. Elvis clearly does. Although very recently he has also started saying "El". Like "Hi El". He's given himself a nickname. :laugh:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Amazon Solomon would say meow, and he'd also say his name.
He started saying 'meowman'. I don't know if he just got mixed up, or liked the sound.
He said this for several years, but slowly quit saying it. Still says Solomon and still meows.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis actually said a new one tonight. He must have known I was writing about him today. Lol. I picked him up and he said "thank you Elvis".

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our girls don't talk. Puffin has a cute hiccup-sort of sound that might be part of a word, though which isn’t clear. And Luv Bug has a scratchy little sound that could be "hi" or have something that sounds like "hi" in it. Both sounds are super cute! :xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Having interacted with Elvis (many times!) I'm not surprised that he's picking up new phrases. Elvis is being Elvis...which is why I find him so fascinating... ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Having interacted with Elvis (many times!) I'm not surprised that he's picking up new phrases. Elvis is being Elvis...which is why I find him so fascinating... ;)
I've always thought he could talk more if he wanted to. It's like stepping up. He steps up really well now. I always suspected that he could. It's like he doesn't want anyone to know how smart he really is. ;) He's plotting...........

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They do plot! I've experimented with Sweden by pretending to lock her feed doors.
Every time she's gone down to check, found them unlocked and crawled out!
:laugh: Always looking for trouble.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They do plot! I've experimented with Sweden by pretending to lock her feed doors.
Every time she's gone down to check, found them unlocked and crawled out!
:laugh: Always looking for trouble.
LOL. They are so smart. Elvis always watches how I lock his cage.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My Amazon Solomon would say meow, and he'd also say his name.
He started saying 'meowman'. I don't know if he just got mixed up, or liked the sound.
He said this for several years, but slowly quit saying it. Still says Solomon and still meows.
I love when they combine phrases. My quaker came to me knowing "Good Boy," and later learned to say "Bobby" (my boyfriend). He combined them into "Good Bobby," and the two have been complimenting each other ever since.