• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins cockatoos...

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
We recently put a deposit down on a goffins cockatoo and I was wondering what those who own them think about them? We’ve done a lot of research already, and the baby won’t be born until March (maybe) so we have more time to research. He won’t be our first cockatoo, I have a Rose breasted cockatoo named Rocket. Are they noisy? I’m not really talking about noise level because the loud screeching a few times doesn’t bother me, but I have 2 conures who constantly squawk when in their cages and I hate that noise. I have heard that goffins usually make noise in the morning and at night which isn’t a problem at all. Honestly they could scream for 30 minutes every few hours and it wouldn’t bug me, it’s just the constant squawking when I’m trying to get some work done that bugs me. I’ve heard they are super smart, so obviously we’re getting a cage with a good door so he can’t escape. Do they like to chew things like boxes? From what I’ve heard and read about them they seem like super great and silly birds but I want to hear the cons about them :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We have two girls. One has a raspy, "smokers' voice" and is mostly quiet (unless she's telling you off lol) and the other's voice is much louder and clearer and she uses it frequently and for long periods throughout the day. :shocked5: When I have to put them up to do certain chores I often wear ear protection to keep them from driving me crazy.

Neither enjoys being in their cages when we are home and will make quite a fuss if they're not let out fairly quickly and both spend the majority of the time on us.

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
That doesn’t sound too bad! Like I said, I have conures and they can get very annoying so I think I’ll be able to handle a goffins noise :D Also I love that one of yours tells you off. That’s so cute!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine has a raspy repetitive call that she uses to good effect.
If she thinks she should be out, she'll 'complain' and it'll drive you nuts.
Not loud, not all the time, but definitely something that may make some crawl up the wall.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@macawpower58 Sounds like you have both of my girls wrapped up in your sweet little Sweden. :xflove: She must be quite a character! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We recently put a deposit down on a goffins cockatoo and I was wondering what those who own them think about them? We’ve done a lot of research already, and the baby won’t be born until March (maybe) so we have more time to research. He won’t be our first cockatoo, I have a Rose breasted cockatoo named Rocket. Are they noisy? I’m not really talking about noise level because the loud screeching a few times doesn’t bother me, but I have 2 conures who constantly squawk when in their cages and I hate that noise. I have heard that goffins usually make noise in the morning and at night which isn’t a problem at all. Honestly they could scream for 30 minutes every few hours and it wouldn’t bug me, it’s just the constant squawking when I’m trying to get some work done that bugs me. I’ve heard they are super smart, so obviously we’re getting a cage with a good door so he can’t escape. Do they like to chew things like boxes? From what I’ve heard and read about them they seem like super great and silly birds but I want to hear the cons about them :)
I have a male, wild caught goffin. I don't know if either of those things makes a difference as compared to other goffins. Mine is loud. He doesn't make noise just to make noise, though. He screams to be uncovered, when he's excited, when he wants out of the cage, warning you of danger (like those scary garbage trucks), etc. If he's really agitated, he can scream for 30 minutes, easily. (I think his record was 90 minutes when I left him at the bird sitter's.) I have found that a routine works really well with him though and greatly diminishes the screaming. He also talks and has a raspy voice. But not as raspy as some of the larger 'toos that I have heard speak. I think he speaks pretty clearly but not as clear as say, an African Grey.

Goffins are crazy smart and very mechanical. I have super thick zip ties on the top of my cage because he has managed to open the cage top lock from the inside and lift those heavy doors. (I actually wouldn't get a cage again that opens like that.) But I have come home to find him sitting on the chandelier waiting for me. He is really high energy. And at least twice a day, I play with him- play as in have him flying, running, chasing etc to burn off some of that energy he has. He is not a content to sit on a perch kind of bird. He is really sweet and funny. But it is really important to keep them mentally stimulated. Mine doesn't really chew boxes. He likes wood. Lots and lots of wood toys.

Last edited:

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
So what I’m getting from this is that they can be pretty noisy haha! All birds make noise, so I’ll just have to deal with it. My cockatoo can get pretty loud as well and he’ll hang upside down and scream just for fun, but it’s really entertaining to watch him. I heard about Goffins making tools and I saw a video of one ripping a piece of cardboard and getting a treat out of a small hole by using the cardboard to push it out. I was shocked! I have one last question though which is are they phobic birds? Will they get scared of certain things and then just not want to go near it at all? For example my cockatoo gets scared of things easily and won’t want to go near them for a few days until he realised they won’t hurt him. He’s even done that with me where he wants to be pet but doesn’t want to step up (he’s gotten better about it)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think any bird can be like that. Of course it varies by individua... by mood... time of day... alignment of the planets... :rolleyes: With our girls, it's interesting to see that what one girl won't go near, like a new toy, the other will attack with straight away. It's not even always the same bird in the same situation. :shrug3:But usually it's Puffin who is wary of new toys, but Luv Bug is more upset by new cages or big changes with her cage (moving it to a new spot or too drastic of a change in perch placement).

Also, when Luv Bug came to us we were told that she was afraid of bright colors. So we ordered a bunch of gorgeous natural and pastel toys from T4W but we also had a lot of colorful toys already, so I would carry one around the house with me and set it beside me on the sofa when I sat down and her curiosity won over. After she was bold enough to play with a new toy or perch next to me, then I would begin setting it near her cage, then in her cage. Going at a pace she was comfortable with got her over her fear pretty quickly. Now she loves colorful everything and is our bravest bird. :cheer:

I read a great idea on here, about greys I think. The person suggested getting your bird used to playing with and tearing up plain paper bags. Then whenever you wanted to introduce a new toy or perch, etc, just put it in the paper bag and as the bird shreds the bag, the "scary" item is revealed slowly and isn't a threat that way. I haven't tried it, but I may need to try it with Puffin if I'm ever going to get that pink perch I bough tin her cage. It's been laying on their playtop for a month, but it is not welcome inside yet.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So what I’m getting from this is that they can be pretty noisy haha! All birds make noise, so I’ll just have to deal with it. My cockatoo can get pretty loud as well and he’ll hang upside down and scream just for fun, but it’s really entertaining to watch him. I heard about Goffins making tools and I saw a video of one ripping a piece of cardboard and getting a treat out of a small hole by using the cardboard to push it out. I was shocked! I have one last question though which is are they phobic birds? Will they get scared of certain things and then just not want to go near it at all? For example my cockatoo gets scared of things easily and won’t want to go near them for a few days until he realised they won’t hurt him. He’s even done that with me where he wants to be pet but doesn’t want to step up (he’s gotten better about it)
Sort of? Elvis has things he does not like. Like the vacuum cleaner, the step ladder (weirdly), and the dust pan. He will go into attack mode though and scream at them. Not exactly sure if that's fear or not. I think he thinks he's protecting me.

And yes, goffins are known to be mechanical- more so than other 'toos although all 'toos are smart. Elvis watches what I do to see how I do things. Like open his cage. LOL. You can see him "thinking". I am lucky that he's actually a good boy. I have these screw clasp things on his main cage door as extra reinforcement. One day I was sitting by him reading and I guess he had enough. He looked at me and unscrewed the clasps and kicked his door open (literally), watching me the whole time. Like he was letting me know- I could have gotten out anytime I wanted to, I just chose to be good- until now. :rolleyes:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He looked at me and unscrewed the clasps and kicked his door open (literally), watching me the whole time. Like he was letting me know- I could have gotten out anytime I wanted to, I just chose to be good- until now. :rolleyes:
:coffeescreen: Never a dull moment with Elvis in the building, is there?
1600706264796.png

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sweden is not at all phobic, psycho yes, phobic no....
Drama queen yes.
Mechanical to a fault. Once unscrewed my deck, I kept wondering where all the screws were coming from. :hilarious:
Escapes and lets my Amazon out. Have to have a room with a door that closes!
Found her once years ago on my bed with my German Shepherd asleep on the floor underneath her.
Keeps you busy, gives you heart attacks, but worth every moment.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sweden is not at all phobic, psycho yes, phobic no....
Drama queen yes.
Mechanical to a fault. Once unscrewed my deck, I kept wondering where all the screws were coming from. :hilarious:
Escapes and lets my Amazon out. Have to have a room with a door that closes!
Found her once years ago on my bed with my German Shepherd asleep on the floor underneath her.
Keeps you busy, gives you heart attacks, but worth every moment.
Oh how funny! :rofl: She sounds so full of personality!

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
Sort of? Elvis has things he does not like. Like the vacuum cleaner, the step ladder (weirdly), and the dust pan. He will go into attack mode though and scream at them. Not exactly sure if that's fear or not. I think he thinks he's protecting me.

And yes, goffins are known to be mechanical- more so than other 'toos although all 'toos are smart. Elvis watches what I do to see how I do things. Like open his cage. LOL. You can see him "thinking". I am lucky that he's actually a good boy. I have these screw clasp things on his main cage door as extra reinforcement. One day I was sitting by him reading and I guess he had enough. He looked at me and unscrewed the clasps and kicked his door open (literally), watching me the whole time. Like he was letting me know- I could have gotten out anytime I wanted to, I just chose to be good- until now. :rolleyes:
Woah Elvis sounds smart!! They do say that cockatoos have the mind of a 5 year old and they are definitely not wrong. He seems real sassy too like he knows what he wants LOL