• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins Cockatoo Rehab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer

Our latest rescue was 6 birds who were previous breeders. The person who surrendered them bought out an existing breeder and in doing so, got these retired breeders. They are all 20+years old, some are much older. Some of them had been wild caught and all of them have been plucked either by themselves or their mate. This Goffins Cockatoo I decided to name. I named her Alinea and I will call her Ali (Alley) for short. Alinea means basically a new train of thought and I figured since she is going to be starting a new life it fit perfectly. She is also plucked as you can see in the pictures above, some was from her previous mate and some she did herself.
I wanted to just share with you some happy news. Ali was totally wild and I it was not know if she was ever a pet or not besides her life as a breeder. I have been working with her and I have been able to handle her outside of the cage and she has never bit me once!!! I am so happy about her progress and I think she will not have a hard time finding a forever home.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

AWWW Look at Ali. How cute is she? hahahah Very very cute!

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Wow you have made great progress with her! It must've been hard training a wild bird to perch. Lots of dedication. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
that is fantastic news I am glad she is doing so well it made my day thanks for sharing

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
You are so welcome, I have to admit, I didn't think she was ever going to be tame due to her history. I am especially proud of her because I have only had her approx. 1 month. I was sure any progress such as this would take months if not years.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh my gosh, she's just too cute!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Jennifer I am offically in love with that girl.

No bites even? I get bite by my hand raised birds more than that. lol
Ali looks like a little vulture with that bare neck, poor thing. But with a new start maybe she can stop that busniness. If not at least she is gonna have a whole new life to look forward to. She no doubt has had many families of babies. She is a mama.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well, if I lived in Ohio, I would be introducing her to Truely Girl and if they liked each other I would be bringing her home.

I am glad she has you.

Ginger

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Jennifer I am offically in love with that girl.

No bites even? I get bite by my hand raised birds more than that. lol
Ali looks like a little vulture with that bare neck, poor thing. But with a new start maybe she can stop that busniness. If not at least she is gonna have a whole new life to look forward to. She no doubt has had many families of babies. She is a mama.
I have never been bit once by this sweet baby :) She is so sweet. She doesn't really want to be petted she is still very afraid but she at least lets me step her up. I am also sure she is quite a mama :heart: HAHA I wish you were close enough to adopt her! :laughing12:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Aww thank you.:hug8:

Make sure she gets a esp loving home, maybe one where she can get fresh air, experience new things, run errands with the owner, gets new toys all the time.

Question, the last guy I got was a ex breeder and I wondered if he would know what to do with toys. He sure does which is great, has she discovered what toys are all about yet?

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Well, if I lived in Ohio, I would be introducing her to Truely Girl and if they liked each other I would be bringing her home.

I am glad she has you.

Ginger
Aww thats my problem. The only people that have been interested in her in my state are either bird flippers or a breeder who wants to taker her out of retirement. I have had some other people intersted in her but they either have no experience to deal with a bird as such as her or they are a hoarder. I am not really sure what to do as far as adopting her out at this point. However, I am sure her forever home will come along. :p

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Aww thank you.:hug8:

Make sure she gets a esp loving home, maybe one where she can get fresh air, experience new things, run errands with the owner, gets new toys all the time.

Question, the last guy I got was a ex breeder and I wondered if he would know what to do with toys. He sure does which is great, has she discovered what toys are all about yet?
HAHA :lol:
Oh my goodness her cage is full of toys. She has a very large cage and I put in a feather duster for her to preen instead of her own feathers. I have some toys in there for her to chew the wood off of. As well as some rope like knot toys. She also has a rope perch, two manzanita perches, as well as a cement perch and a large swing. She loves to play with her toys and squawk! LOL She competes with my Ekkie sometimes haha. I will make sure she gets a special home, it will take a special person to care for her. I also gave her a mini phone book as I took in a Rose Breasted (who I still have today) and he was a plucker. After, shredding it daily and still to this day, he has totally stopped plucking.
You can visit my "Beaks of Mass Destruction" to see the life of a phone book at my house :rofl:
http://thebirdnerdsrescue.com/BeaksofMassDestruction.aspx
(My site is under construction so some of the pictures you can't see.)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
So glad Ali knows how to play, and play very well by the sounds of it. :loveshower:

Thanks for the link I will go check it out.;)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The poor baby! Awww Im so glad she is making good progress :)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Awh, I would take her in a heartbeat but Ohio is kind of a long drive from Maryland ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.