• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins and night time screaming?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keno will scream after the lights are turned off but if I say "Goodnight" again she will settle down and be quiet. I have heard Cody wake up and start ringing her bell during the early AM hours. Sometimes she will hear me walk upstairs and pass by the room and she will say, "Hi" repeatedly same as Milton. I just ignore that. I have also heard her scream during early AM but that very rarely happens. If she does scream I do check on her because she does have a history of seizures and I want to make sure that she is OK.

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
If he is not scared of the dark try covering his cage with a sheet When mine throws a fit I can cover him for 15 minutes and he stops.

Also mine started that every now and then and figured out the neighbors cat was coming by the window

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cover Cody at night but not Keno. She makes holes in every cover I've tried and no need any way since she generally settles down quickly at bedtime. Best to cover Cody, though, because she scares easily and if there is some kind of movement in the dark it would probably freak her out. She also quiets down faster when covered.

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
Mine is also good at stirring up the macaws lol. I guess he thinks quiet is a bad thing.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
You've got to keep taking smart pills to stay ahead of these guys.
Not even sure if even that is enough?

In my experience, taking a good long look into the eyes of certain 'toos is like staring into the abyss of an alien intelligence. It feels like they are drinking in information about every muscle on my face, the tension and relaxation and tiniest twitching. It is a very exposed, heart-breakingly beautiful and terrifying feeling.

(I imagine they do that deep stare less often once they get to know you well enough that they can read your mood by how you turn the doorknob...)

Jasper

Meeting neighbors
Also:cool: ours is spoiled. He mostly sleeps on top of his cage next to the bed.
You nailed it with the spoiled part! I just brought home our new to us 15 yr old goffin KeKe. She's affordable/lovable to a fault. And there I believe, lies our problem with her screaming at night! I'm learning trees, a bird can be coddled too much!! OMG. LOL... Funny but not. She is the most loving bird I've ever owned!! But wants loving 24/7 then throw a sheet over her cage & the screaming begins... So it's a good thing she is brand new to us, because tuff love starts tonight! Wish us luck? ~ For the love of all animals for we speak for them~

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol. This old thread pops up after I got to hear the wild goffins carrying on for a lot of last night. Noise didn’t start till after 12pm but once it started up it didn’t stop lol. They don’t do it every night but something must have been bothering them last night because boy howdy were they noisy! Normally if it’s a cat trying to get them the whole flock takes off but they stayed put last night and just carried on like brats!! :roflmao:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You nailed it with the spoiled part! I just brought home our new to us 15 yr old goffin KeKe. She's affordable/lovable to a fault. And there I believe, lies our problem with her screaming at night! I'm learning trees, a bird can be coddled too much!! OMG. LOL... Funny but not. She is the most loving bird I've ever owned!! But wants loving 24/7 then throw a sheet over her cage & the screaming begins... So it's a good thing she is brand new to us, because tuff love starts tonight! Wish us luck? ~ For the love of all animals for we speak for them~
Is she used to being covered? It's hard sometimes to pinpoint why they're screaming at night. Having only had cockatiels before our goffin, I covered Elvis like I did the tiels, with a gap in the cover. I figured out he didn't like that and needed to be covered completely. Some birds don't like being covered at all. With Elvis, we also had to add a white noise machine. That has helped a lot with him waking up at night and screaming.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Interesting thread. My Eleonora also screams about half of the time, right after we turn off the lights. I hate to ignore her, but calling to her doesn't stop her. Turning the light back on for a couple of seconds does. She never screams in the middle of the night, luckily.