• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin Cockatoo

mango2016

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Hi, I'm mostly new here. I have adopted a sweet 10 yr old Goffin Cockatoo. He is the most lovable and gentle thing ever!... He loves my shoulder and loves to feather pick when petting or just sitting on you at anytime, he has a few bald spots has been to the vet had a great bill of health, all but the plucking, he seems to only do it when he is given attention... But if he is in his cage he don't do it as much, but he loves to be out and on me.. what can i do to stop this. I've looked up bird collars would that be an option. Thanks i've only owned him a week this Friday the 28th. but has done it before me, he has been tossed around but he is the most lovable thing ever... i know for sure he has been passed 3 times before me. and this will be his forever home. He might be bald but i'll still love him... LOL

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Welcome!

I'm not experienced with 'toos, maybe someone else can give you some advice :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for taking him in. You've only had him one week so you are not really seeing his true character (You're in what we call the honeymoon period). Things can/will change so just be aware of that.

all but the plucking, he seems to only do it when he is given attention...
This is a very critical point. You must never draw any attention to an undesirable behaviour. The attention is a "reward" and will increase the behaviour. When this happens you need to change the kind of attention you are giving and change his focus.

We are just scratching the surface (pun intended) on this problem. You have chosen to accept a very difficult life long challenge with a very high maintenance bird. You are going to need to do some speed/power learning and educate yourself in the basics of behaviour. We are here to help but the hard work is on your shoulders. There are many "stickies" at the top of each forum section. Read them. Absorb them.

Here's a good article to get you started. I implore you to read them. Knowledge is power and you need that knowledge.

The Basics of Feather Picking

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats on your new Goffin. I have one too, she's now 22 years old.
Started feather damage around 10 or 12 and has never stopped. With my bird it usually is at it's worse during hormonal season.
She also has a clean bill of health.
From what I've seen with Goffins, the majority do develop some destructive behavior.
Don't stress over it, or as John says, pay attention to it.
You may just have to love a scruffy Too, like so many of us here do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. I've had a foster goffin for about 4 months. So I still consider myself a goffin novice, and @JLcribber and @macawpower58 are much more knowledgeable on toos than I am. Like John said, you don't want to draw attention to the behavior. Goffins are super smart and very attention seeking. I have made the mistake of laughing when my too stands on top of his cage and tilts his head up to send little pieces of wood flying across the room for maximum distance. Guess what his favorite thing to do now is? Send pieces of wood flying everywhere. My goffin also likes to play, play, play. So perhaps when he's out with you redirect his attention to playing. We play catch a lot. Give him a basket filled with wooden beads and small toys to sort through. Let him forage for treats, etc. Hopefully, the plucking will stop. But sometimes it just doesn't.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and the world of cockatoos. Congrats on getting a Goffin's and thanks for adopting him.
I have a @ 28 year old Goffin's. Be aware that they are very mechanical and can generally figure out how to escape from their cages.
As for feather picking, provide lots of interactive, foraging and preening type toys. Do not reward the plucking by reacting to it such as admonishing the bird for doing that. Giving attention to unwanted behaviors is not a good thing.
What is your Goffin's name?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, post some photos when you get a chance.

mango2016

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Welcome to AA and the world of cockatoos. Congrats on getting a Goffin's and thanks for adopting him.
I have a @ 28 year old Goffin's. Be aware that they are very mechanical and can generally figure out how to escape from their cages.
As for feather picking, provide lots of interactive, foraging and preening type toys. Do not reward the plucking by reacting to it such as admonishing the bird for doing that. Giving attention to unwanted behaviors is not a good thing.
What is your Goffin's name?

mango2016

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Thanks everyone for replying, Here are a few pictures of him. He is such a sweatheart, but he loves my attention. and he loves my shoulder, but everytime he is on me or my shoulder he starts picking and preening badly, he has had a few broken blood feathers, I"m trying the avicalm and featheriffic now. so i'm hoping it helps, but anytime he is out of his cage he does it but loves to be out and wants attention, and worse when he is getting attention. I just can't leave him in his cage 24/7 thats no life. I"m a sucker when it comes to animals. just love them. they are like children. i do everything trying to get him to stop and he goes right back at it. I"ve been taking him outside a lot for some sun. he loves it outside, not as picky cause he is courious around him.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welcomesign:

Chiquita629

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marquitta
Welcome! And congratulations on your new Fid. With my Ollie who was a triton cockatoo, I would just softly touch her beak and tell her no. Also a good idea to give something else to shred or play with. Ollie loved cotton mop heads or the knotted dog rope toys. I can't tell you how many toys I had made her over the years. But also one important thing just in case you don't know around 10 years is when they go through puberty. Basically the beginning of being a teenager and to me really the time you have to watch behavior ( just like kids lol ) I would definitely recommend a collar, but would take off during cage time.