• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin and eclectus in the same room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I want a goffins someday and will have to have my birds in a birdroom together if this ever happens, so I am wondering if it is bad for the health of my eclectus if he is in the same bedroom as a dusty goffin 'too??

Or what could I do to make it a safe environment for them both?

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
Get a very good HEPA air filter that is sized appropriately for the room. Take a look at the box and you'll see the dimensions of the rooms the filters are meant to clean. If you use a filter that is undersized, you will not be able to clean the air as well. Reasonably "oversizing" is ok, though, but you don't want to get too crazy because you'll end up spending more than is necessary on the filter itself.

Other than that, you should plan to keep their cages separated until you figure out how well they are going to interact. You may also never be able to allow them out in the room at the same time- or they may become good friends. You never know what will happen :)

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Yeah I never plan to keep them in the same cage or anything though I hope they can be out together without dive-bombing at each others throats. I'm most worried about the dust.

Those air filters are expensive. I'm going to need a loan to do all this LOL

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
They can be expensive, but they really do make a difference- especially if you have dusty birds like cockatoos, cockatiels, or African Greys. I have a large filter next to my cockatiel cage (I have 5) and you would not believe how much feather dust it collects. I also use 3m Filtrete filters in my central heat & air conditioner. I find feathers in that also :rofl: along with all of the normal dust and stuff it collects.

Filters make a difference for the birds and for you as well!
Here are two side-by-side photos of a brand new and a dirty filter from mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Jamie is right, invest in some quality air filters. I have been using a Holmes model for the past year, but have noticed that since being in the new house the level of dust has went up considerably in the bird room (not sure if this is due to the ventilation system or what) so I went and purchased a second one over the weekend, so there are two running in the bird room now.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
The Ekkies and Little Corellas are from the same country. So maybe they can tolerate them better than others (not sure). Sure it can work ~ just take precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.