• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gluten Free seed mix or pellet?

mogeton

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,
My hubby has celiac, and because birds are such MESSY eaters :), we're trying to find a pellet and a seed mix (for out of cage training) that does NOT contain oats, wheat, barley, or rye. I'm having a really hard time! I know I can buy things separately and mix our own seed, and similarly could make food mash for them, but I would rather have a pre-made option if possible!
Does anyone know if any such food exists?
Thanks all!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This might help you, as I've listed the ingredients for major pellets here:

As for seeds, I can't think of any off the top of my head but if you're only using them for training, then you don't need a mix. Find one or two favorites (sunflower, safflower, almonds, etc) and just buy those :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had a skim of Pellets for Parrots
As far as I can see, the only suitable food on there is Harrison's Lifetime Mash.

The closest I've found is this: AS30 No Peanut No Sunflower Seed Mix15kg - Exclusive
Still contains oats and barley but no wheat.

It would help to know what country you're in. Different pellets and seed mixes are sold in different countries.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am a little confused here so please excuse me if I come across as rude or ignorant...... I am so baffled how the hubby having celiac disease (an intollerance to eating gluten foods) means your bird needs different foods or treats. Unless hubby is eating the bird treats I am at a loss why it is important to find a gluten free food alternative for your bird. Have I missed something obvious here? I mean peanut allergy I can understand making them changes but a gluten intolerance bringing about such changes for others (including pets) in the house seems a little odd to me.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I am a little confused here so please excuse me if I come across as rude or ignorant...... I am so baffled how the hubby having celiac disease (an intollerance to eating gluten foods) means your bird needs different foods or treats. Unless hubby is eating the bird treats I am at a loss why it is important to find a gluten free food alternative for your bird. Have I missed something obvious here? I mean peanut allergy I can understand making them changes but a gluten intolerance bringing about such changes for others (including pets) in the house seems a little odd to me.

Celiac disease is a lot more serious than a gluten intolerance- you can't even come into contact with any kind of gluten- so I guess if there is some seed around because...budgies are messy it could potentially be dangerous I guess

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Celiac disease is a lot more serious than a gluten intolerance- you can't even come into contact with any kind of gluten- so I guess if there is some seed around because...budgies are messy it could potentially be dangerous I guess
Right . I guess all the people I know with it do not take it that seriously then as they all pretty much describe it as just a gluten intolerance and even frequently eat gluten knowing it will make them sick for a bit.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I guess there are different degrees of it?

My mum has it, she uses seperate frypans toasters etc if someone else in the household is eating anything with wheat/gluten and everything has to be wiped down to avoid contamination. Twice she's been hospitalized because she's unknowingly eaten something contaminated with gluten. Also, if people genuinely have celiac disease (or don't know they have it) and can tolerate gluten, it is still attacking them. We have a long family history of bowel cancer which is what celiac disease progresses to if untreated or not known about. Sorry about the essay- I'm currently going through the testing process for celiac disease :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I guess there are different degrees of it?

My mum has it, she uses seperate frypans toasters etc if someone else in the household is eating anything with wheat/gluten and everything has to be wiped down to avoid contamination. Twice she's been hospitalized because she's unknowingly eaten something contaminated with gluten. Also, if people genuinely have celiac disease (or don't know they have it) and can tolerate gluten, it is still attacking them. We have a long family history of bowel cancer which is what celiac disease progresses to if untreated or not known about. Sorry about the essay- I'm currently going through the testing process for celiac disease :(
Thank you for the extra information :)

I have always been quite curious as I know how sick some of them get and they still frequently eat stuff they should not but I also know of others who treat it like your mum and have been really crook from eating gluten.

I hope your celiac tests come back negative.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thank you for the extra information :)

I have always been quite curious as I know how sick some of them get and they still frequently eat stuff they should not but I also know of others who treat it like your mum and have been really crook from eating gluten.

I hope your celiac tests come back negative.
Anytime- I've done so much research over the past few months on this topic I feel like an expert!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a friend with celiac and she definitely does not purposely ever eat anything gluten and is very strict about it. It is not the same thing as gluten intolerant from my understanding. Her bird though is not on a gluten free diet, however, and she doesn't have issues.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Definitely pellets but everything the above replies said I totally agree with!

mogeton

Meeting neighbors
Wow, thank you @Miss_sj ! You described everything exactly as I would have! My husband has true celiac, and gets very, very sick if in contact with gluten. The amount he would need to get sick on is on the order of parts per million, and given the seriousness of illness, it's simply not worth having the messy budgies have their gluten :)

mogeton

Meeting neighbors
Wow, thank you @Miss_sj ! You described everything exactly as I would have! My husband has true celiac, and gets very, very sick if in contact with gluten. The amount he would need to get sick on is on the order of parts per million, and given the seriousness of illness, it's simply not worth having the messy budgies have their gluten :)
P.s. @Miss_sj , best of luck with your diagnosis!