• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gloster Canaries

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Hey everyone, so basically I have always toyed with the thought of having some canaries or finches since I feel like they are just so hecking adorable lol. I never really knew what species I wanted until I saw an my ig a gloster canary which I think are stupid cute!
Since I dont have space, time, money etc. can all gloster canary owners pls post some pics of theirs so I can get my fill haha.

Also if anybody wants to provide info on gloster canaries in general thats always appreciated :)

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Also I forgot to mention but if anybody can post or describe canary setups? Im used to parrots who need lots of toys and whatnot but since finches and canaries can't climb how does everyone set up their cages.

Like I said I probably won't get another bird for years but I like to learn more about species Im interested in

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
How fun! My little guy is a fife, but I wanted to say hi, and me too!

My Mel (nickname) is half way through quarantine, and has free reign in the bathroom and adjacent room with a bit of my closet too. I've been watching his preferences and I'm pretty surprised at how much fun he finds interesting. He likes the fat perches a lot. He's got the curtain rod with vet wrap, and the shower perch is fatter at a little over an inch. He's got a hardwood branch and dowel in his sleep cage, roughly 1/4 to just over 1/2 inch. He also likes the top of his cage and my stack of washcloths... Three stacks, the middle one has the most headspace and he tucks himself in the cubby for naps. His swing, boing-like in a triangle about 5/8 inch, gets a lot of attention. I got him one of those halved coconut, hanging feeders too, and that he gets all the way in. I almost don't want to ruin his quarantine and move him into a flight. I might have to put Monaco in her sleep cage so he can get flight time every day. He's so friendly and responsive to interaction. He's almost forgiven me for the scatt and catching him...I hope he will again, there's only another week before the next dose.

Anyway, make it as fun as a parrot cage in miniature! He hasn't shown any interest in the tree (its a Norfolk) or the little things on the coconut or the swing, so I don't know about toys. Just lots of feeding stations and creative perching options!